This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom interiors

Just wondering if anyone who has used these folks would care to comment on the experience they had. I have a '60 Lark Regal with the beige cloth seats and want to know if they can do this material or is it only a close match? I found NOS fabric available from SMS, but of course it's only fabric and someone still has to construct the seat coverings. I heard Phantom can do an entire interior for this car but hoped someone with some direct experience can comment. Also, any recommendations for other vendors or upholsery shops (especially in the northeast) would certainly be welcome.
    Thanks everyone.

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
    '60 Lark VIII
    '50 2R5

Can't tell you anything about Phantom (I've heard they're really good, but pricey). Who is SMS? I'd love to find some matching material for my 65 Cruiser.

Comment

I have no direct experiance with Phantom, but have heard many positive comments, I have gotten my interior and material from Historic Automotive - John Poulos and have been very pleased with the service and the products. Go to: http://www.stude.com/covers/ for his web page and you can go to: http://www.covers/tips.htm for installation tips.

Studebaker Fever
      60 Lark
      51 Champion
      Phil

Studebaker Fever
      60 Lark
      56 Power Hawk
      Phil Hendrickson
      Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I've heard Phantom has excellent products but you want lots of time
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I've used both Phantom's and JP's (historic automotive) interior. No comparison as far as quality. Phantom is by far the best quality wise in both material used and quality of work. You could send them the material and they will build the covers. Talk to Renee at 865-525-6025

53commander HDTP
          53 Champion HDTP
          61 Cursed Purple Hawk
          64 Champ long bed V8
          64 GT
          64 Champ long bed V8
          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I got my 1962 hawk seat covers from Phantom. You won't be disappointed. There is quite a backlog, so expect to wait a few months or so, but the quality is solid. Not only that, but Renee will take the time to talk to you if you come across installation problems. They're not rock bottom in the price department, but paying a bit more for upholstery from them is worth it. In addition, when you sell your car (if you do), saying it has an interior from Phantom is definitely a good selling point.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I like JP but if you've gone to the trouble of finding NOS fabric, it sounds like you really want to talk to Phantom. I wouldn't hesitate to use JP for a driver car but there's no sense using NOS fabric for anything but a 100% correct set of covers.

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              62 Daytona hardtop
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Historic and Phantom aren't even in the same game. They don't pretend to be. And the prices they charge for their stuff oughta be your first clue![:0]

Historic makes nice seat COVERS. Covers being the operative word here. That is to say their "covers" are made to fit OVER the existing original seat upholstery instead of replacing it. They offer carpets and some other interior trim bits too. It's oriented towards "frugal" Studebaker owners. And while it can look very nice if installed correctly, it's not gonna get you top points when it comes to serious judging at a Stude national meet.

Phantom makes "authentic" reproduction upholstery - and they make way more than just seat upholstery and carpets. Not only that, they go WAY outta their way to reproduce fabrics EXACTLY like original. They HAVE to do this because there's no original fabric left in existance in most cases. (assuming you're trying for a 400 point restoration and not just a "nice-looking car")
                Between this and their EXACTING efforts to make their products fool the very best, Studebaker-oriented judges, you can't expect the prices to be anything LIKE the seat covers and carpets from Historic.

Kdancy is right. There's NO comparison. And to presume that their might be, is only to try and fool yourself. I've used products from BOTH suppliers and the quality was in step with the cost - period.
                I've done several with Historic's seat covers and carpets and it beats the heck, pricewise, outta handing your car over to a local upholstery shop. Looks right nice too.
                Phantom's for when you want perfection. Figure you're gonna PAY accordingly.
                Stude folks tend to be cheapskates. I understand that. But these products we're discussing here are made in THIS day and age - it's not leftover stuff from the factory. And the old axiom STILL applies - that you get what you pay for. Plain and simple. [^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

IS there any stuff left over from the factory? I ask that because when I bought my Cruiser, it appears that the passenger side front seat was replaced with an NOS cover (it's cloth/vinyl). Perfect match. I have the original seat cover in a bag and several pieces of the fabric have been cut out and presumably used somewhere else as a patch, although if that's the case somebody did one heckuva job.

My back seat has a slight tear that's been sewn, but the fabric is just getting weak. Looks good, but I don't like people sitting on it[}] Here's what my upholstery looks like:

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Historic and Phantom aren't even in the same game. They don't pretend to be. And the prices they charge for their stuff oughta be your first clue![:0]

Stude folks tend to be cheapskates. I understand that. But these products we're discussing here are made in THIS day and age - it's not leftover stuff from the factory. And the old axiom STILL applies - that you get what you pay for. Plain and simple. [^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Thanks everyone for the interesting and helpful replies. I agree with Mr Biggs that top quality and accuracy is worth paying more for. I found out since my original post that Phantom gets about $2300 for a "complete interior" for my 60 Lark Regal 4-dr. Not sure exactly what that includes. As for the NOS fabric, SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon has plenty of the beige cloth for my car at $79/yard. They sent a sample swatch and it is dead on accurate. They said it's NOS not repro. I'll have to talk with Phantom to see if he uses material from SMS or if he has his own source.

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
                    '60 Lark VIII
                    '50 2R5

Comment

As Studebob said, Phantom and I make different covers, for different buyers. I'll buy a Phantom interior myself when I'm doing a show car, but not all Studebakers are built as show cars. If you're driving a $2000 Studebaker, a $2500 Phantom interior might not work for you. My covers if installed correctly will pass for show in certain applications, but I can't get the correct fabrics and vinyl for all models.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                      64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

65Cruiser - YES! SASCO has a good amount of upholstery items for the late cars. These are gonna be already sewn stuff, not raw material.
                        The last time I was there, they had stuff that's inventoried and they have stuff in loose lots that you really have to just dig thru to try and find what you need.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

JDP-Will your covers work when all that is left of the original seat is the frame itself? I will have to install new foam as mine has long since been made into mouse nesting!

Todd
                          63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Yes,you can use JP's covers and rebuild youe seats from the frame up with new foam.
                            Its usually necessary,because the original stuff crumbles like powder after 40 years.
                            Ive had to rebuild the seats in all my cars,and I used Historic Automotive,no problem.(well,a small one that was easy to fix)
                            Look under your seat,if you find little flakes of yellow powder,you need new foam.

Comment

I have used Phantom for my Hawk, and I can say that they are the best I have seen so far, but, as mentioned before, they aren't cheap! But, you can bet the farm that what they give you will be correct and will fit perfectly.[8D]

Comment

Working...
                              X