PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearing

cosmo
10-03-2005, 09:18 AM
i just came back from san deigo yesterday and figured i'd pack my wheel bearings and inspect my brakes since i haven't done this. i took the front hup off looked at the brakes there fine i packed the bearing and set the thing back together.
then later on i started thinking that there was only one bearing for each front hub an outer bearing. shouldn't there be one on the inner of the hub as well.
maybe i'm wrong, the car has been running this way for the year that i have had it, and the privious owner had it since i believe in the mid 80's and he live in san francisco and drove it down to l.a.
and i still havent found my shop manuel.

wagone
10-03-2005, 10:11 AM
There is (are) inner bearings, definitely. Don't know which model you have, but virtually all cars have both inner and outer bearings. You need a soft (brass is best, but a wooden dowel will do) punch and working from the outer end of the hub you tap the inner bearing and grease seal out the inner end of the hub. Repack the same as outers and use a new seal. Other answers will elaborate and correct my deficiencies, as needed. A related question I have is that one of my inner front bearings seems to fit loosely on the spindle--that is the inner cup appears to turn on the spindle rather than all rotation occurring between the rollers and cup. Assuming that I have the correct bearing I imagine the spindle to be worn. Any cure for this other than replacing the spindle? I bought a new bearing using the number on the old--and the new had the same "slop" between the cup and spindle, so...it could be the wrong bearing. Any thoughts--is this common or cause for concern? Thanks.
wagone and Avanti I

cosmo
10-03-2005, 10:40 AM
so the inner bearing is behind a seal? I didnt look that carefully so I'm confussed, and i cant just take my hub off right now or I would.

But if there was no innebearing in my car I would notice in driving, right?
And by the way I dont know which model I have either.
The serial # at the drivers door is 63S-33297.
The plate # that is on the fire wall on the left hand side is 63S-F23441

DEEPNHOCK
10-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Some good wheel bearing info is at:

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20050201wb.html

quote:Originally posted by cosmo

i just came back from san deigo yesterday and figured i'd pack my wheel bearings and inspect my brakes since i haven't done this. i took the front hup off looked at the brakes there fine i packed the bearing and set the thing back together.
then later on i started thinking that there was only one bearing for each front hub an outer bearing. shouldn't there be one on the inner of the hub as well.
maybe i'm wrong, the car has been running this way for the year that i have had it, and the privious owner had it since i believe in the mid 80's and he live in san francisco and drove it down to l.a.
and i still havent found my shop manuel.

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

N8N
10-03-2005, 05:33 PM
To get the inner bearing out, just set the drum on the ground face up and knock the inner out through the back with a brass drift. If you get lucky you can reuse the old inner seals, but given the age of most Studes I'd buy a pair anyway, can't hurt to replace 'em and they're cheap.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

wagone
10-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Cosmo: Yes, you would know it if you didn't have both inner and outer bearings--you "got um". But if the outer needs to be repacked then the inners do also. Just tap on the bearing with a smallish hammer and drift from the outside of the hub and the inner bearing and seal will pop out--tap from various locations around the circumference of the bearing. Getting the seal back in is only a little tricky to get centered and straight as you tap it back in from the rear of the hub. Really doesn't matter what model of car you have, to support the weight of the car you gotta have two on each axle (spindle)--and the tapered roller bearing was a nice invention compared to the older ball bearing races which can't take any lateral or sideways forces (they have been used on front hubs at one time).

wagone and Avanti I