PDA

View Full Version : RIMs

curt
10-02-2005, 04:15 PM
What rims may one use on a 1955 President compatiable with radials. May one use only one new rim per axle? The car has 15 inch rims now. I have read someone saying Ranger rims fit Studebakers. My 1985 Ranger has 14 inch rims.

N8N
10-02-2005, 07:09 PM
I would use matching rims on each axle. If the rims are different widths that can change the rolling diameter of the tires slightly. Yes, the 15" ranger steel wheels will work. Anything up to 15x7" with an inch or slightly more of offset should work (on a C-K, anyway.)

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

curt
10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Mine is a 'y' ,I think that says it is longest of the pack. I suspect the 'C/K' would be the same as the 'y'. I'm not sure how much the fender space would change on the models. Back in those years, frugal was the word and I suspect the rims are all the same. Just a guess on my part.

N8N
10-02-2005, 09:13 PM
yes the STOCK rims were all the same. they were 15x5" with a healthy offset. I thought you were asking about aftermarket/replacement rims. I think I may have one more extra laying around but not sure. If you are looking for stock rims, look for the type that has the three little slots for clips to hold the "dog dish" hubcaps on rather than bumps on the wheel itself (even if you have full wheel covers which I assume you do.) To be absolutely correct, you should get the ones that have 10 raised sections around the bolt circle rather than 5 but with the hub caps on you can't tell the two apart.

They probably ought to be painted body color. If your car is two tone post back and hopefully I can determine what color the rims should be.

I cannot guarantee that a 15x7" wheel will fit on anything but a C or K body (coupe or hardtop) but 15x6" should be pretty safe on anything, if you want to use modern, wider radial tires.

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

curt
10-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Ther is a Lark at a local junk yard, Are Lark rims useable with a 1955 ?

Transtar60
10-03-2005, 12:12 AM
The ones recommended in the TW are NWRA#40273's Base wheel for F*rd Bronco II and Ranger 4x4's. 15x6 .

N8N
10-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Lark rims will work but if you're going to get incorrect wheels I'd go for the Ford ones. The Lark wheels are likely only 4.5" wide.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

studeclunker
10-03-2005, 07:08 PM
There are rims available for your President that are both compatible with the wider radials and correct for your car. If you don't have power steering on that Pres, keep in mind there will be a difference when turning. Especially at low speeds. I changed my one of Larks to the newer wider radials and have since changed it back. The steering was considerably stiffer and I did'nt like the handling. The car now has the narrower rims on it and taller more correct radial tires. It turns easier and handles more like a Lark, less like a truck.
I am sure I will be flamed on this for saying the previous.[B)] Still, these cars were designed fourty to fifty years ago and people just did'nt go tearing around like they do now. At least, not in town. Cooper Tires markets a tire under the name KingStar that has the tall narrow profile that is correct and compatible to your car's suspension. They are inexpensive, though made in China.[V] If you want to drive like the people on the TV ads or Andy Granitelli, well, the Ranger rims are your best bet. I would suggest power steering as well.
Forgive me for going on so long,[:I] I just find it irritating that people get these cars and then think that everything Original Equipment is inferior. They aren't.;) Granted, your rims are fifty years old and the time is right to replace them. Just don't dismiss the Original type equipment as inferior or just for show. After all, your car has soldiering along on them all this time has'nt it?:D

Oh yes, yet one more thing (sorry[:I])... When using radials, match all four tires and the spare as well. Espically with the suspensions of these older cars. If you have different tires in the front from rear, carry two spares. One matched to front and rear. It's easier just to keep all four the same, unless you're racing...

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

Transtar60
10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Clunker its not that the original wheels are inferior, but they are 50 years old, and most of them have seen many hard miles. I replaced the ones on my Lark cause they leaked around the rivets and one or two of them were slightly out of shape. I got "tired" of airing them up every two or three days.

studeclunker
10-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Transtar,
and I quote myself; " Granted, your rims are fifty years old and the time is right to replace them. Just don't dismiss the Original type equipment as inferior or just for show. "

That's what I get for being so long winded.[:I]

Yes, Mine are replaced with new as well. One of my cars has new the other has old. Both will eventually have new. It's just that I'm trying to stay with the "old type" as they seem to work best with mine. I have a third set that are Ford rims and are the recommended wide type. I don't like running that wide of tires. By the way, neither of the old sets were leaking or showing any signs of stress, rust or other weaknesses.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith