PDA

View Full Version : calif. emmision atten. Mr. Biggs

rusty nut garage
10-02-2005, 02:24 PM
On my 60 lark VIII that came from calif. the roaddraft tube is replaced by a hose thats just laying up underneath the carb with nothing connected and their is a hose that runs from the pass side vlv cover to the air cleaner housing. Anyone familiar with these, I'm thinking their should be a PCV valve on the hose from the valley but where does the other end go. The factory 2barrel doesn't have any provisions for a large hose that would go to the PCV valve.
My parts manual goes to '61 and only shows road draft provisions.
If someone has a later parts manual and could give me a list of the required part #'s I could install the later PCV set up.
Thanks
Russ

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

studeclunker
10-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Some of the 2bbl carbs have a tube inserted into the carb-base. This is where the crankcase breather tube goes. Yes there is a PCV valve as well. This is something that I suspect was unique to California. We had smog inspection requirements that included things like this. Thank God we don't have to use the NOX device as well any more!!:(
I looked in the Shop Manual and could'nt see anything relating to this tube.
Russ, I think you'll just have to get a carb that has the setup and rebuild it. Maybe Mr Biggs will have a better answer...[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

Roscomacaw
10-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah, when I first came to CA in '82, they inspected my '63 Champ to see that it had a PCV valve. Those days are gone. Now anything '74 or older is exempt from required smog inspections or devices.

Russ, you need the little outlet (part#1557726) that goes into the hole where the draft tube went. Then, to work in conjunction with that, you need the later StrombergWW that had a metal tube sticking out it's base to connect to the hose from the PCV valve. Of course, you'll need a PCV valve and some hose and clamps too!
The hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner isn't stock but it can't hurt either. I'd leave it if it were mine.
You could get a nicely rebuilt PVC style StrombergWW from Dave Theibault outta Mass.. Dave does alot nicer job than just sticking a carb kit in them.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studeclunker
10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
How about an address on Dave Mr. Biggs.