This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibration

After reboring and balancing the 259 v-8 in my Daytona I adapted a 700R4 to the engine and installed it in the car. At idle the engine is silky smooth. Revving to about 2000 in neutral brings on a strong vibration. Can a torque converter be out of balance? Mine is from a 1982 Suburban with a SB 350 that ran smoothly before disassembly. Is anything else in the transmission operating in neutral? I'm puzzled.

Vibrations growing with engine revs can be a lot of things. Anything rotating can be out of balance. Is the engine revving smoothly, or ...?
    My first step would be to check the engine mounts. Then I'd remove any drive belts and rev the engine again. If that made a difference, whatever was disconnected would be suspect (water pump, generator, etc).
    / H

Comment

Hank63 is right. I had a rebuilt alternator start vibrating when I reved it up. The thing was only a few weeks old. [:0] Had to send it back. Good thing I had a spare.
      Gordon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bunzard

After reboring and balancing the 259 v-8 in my Daytona I adapted a 700R4 to the engine and installed it in the car. At idle the engine is silky smooth. Revving to about 2000 in neutral brings on a strong vibration. Can a torque converter be out of balance? Mine is from a 1982 Suburban with a SB 350 that ran smoothly before disassembly. Is anything else in the transmission operating in neutral? I'm puzzled.
        Where did you get the adapter for the trans to the Stude block? I've used three different ones and two of the three were not close on the dial in. You can't check the dialin of the GM trans as the bell housing is part of the trans.

I have a GM stick bell housing and a housing cut off a 350 trans so I could check them and found even the GM's are not close either. My guess (and it's only a guess) is the reason GM gets away with the out of alignment is the flex plate is larger and has the ring gear on it so it is not as critical as the stock Stude with the smaller flex plate.

Hate to tell you this but it MAY be the bell housing is too far out of alignment and causing your vibration. Hopefully you will find the cause and will not be the alignment.

Ted

Comment

Adapter came from Phil Harris and I was impressed with the precision of the set up. Used the flex plate in the adapter kit and everything went together smooth. Will have to keep checking. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
          X