X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 259 Studie Engine

Hey all,
    I was looking at the engine in my 1960 Lark and noticed it has 4 bolts holding on the valve covers. I know that the later 259s had only 2 bolts holding them on. When did the switch occur from 4 bolts to 2? Also, if I have an older engine in the car than what is supposed to be there, can I just replace early valve covers with later ones...Im trying to do an exact restoration on this Lark. Thanks in advance.

Nate

What is the casting number on the heads? Some people switch back to the 4 bolt because of gasket leaks with the 2 bolt, only will the engine serial number on the front of the block on the drivers side in front of the valley cover will tell you if it is a Lark engine.

Comment

Well, I have a '52 Commander and it too has four bolts. My '62s have two bolts. So between '60 and '61? I think Biggs said somewhere that Studebaker changed their motors into 'full flow'(or was it through flow?[:I]) in '60.

What about it Biggs? Did the valve covers change in '60 or '61?

Lotsa Larks!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I believe they went to two bolt in late '60 models.

Ted

Comment

That sounds right, my 59 Lark has the four bolt valve covers, and I'm pretty sure it's the orginal engine.

Jeff DeWitt
          Jeff DeWitt
          http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

My 60 Lark has 2 bolts holding the valve covers. If anyone is going to the Southeast Regional Zone Meet in Memphis, maybe I will see ya there. I am sure my two tone red/white 60 Lark will be the only one there like it.

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            51 Champion
            Phil

Studebaker Fever
            60 Lark
            56 Power Hawk
            Phil Hendrickson
            Arnold, Missouri

Comment

The block went to 'full-flow'in mid '62. As chickenhawk said,I also think the valve covers went to 2-bolt sometime in 1960....
              The info on the valve cover change was printed somewhere,but I just can't remember where.

Home of the Almostahawk
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The change was made during the 1960 model year. Engine number V466487 was the last one having 4-bolt valve covers.

Dwain G.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I was gonna say it happened with the debut of the '61s - off the top of my head (or the Stude's heads actualy[}]) But late mid-'60, I can live with that. Thanks Dwain.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

MY block is a Dec 1963 casting, the valve covers are 4 bolt covers. I assume the heads are off a 259 engine since the car is a 1955. Are the heads interchangeable from year to year? Are the heads identical from year to year?? Big difference?

Comment

Sounds good guys,
                      That's what I was looking for. I had a feeling we had an early Lark Convertible...I will get back to ya'll with the engine and Vin number. Im here at Penn State and the car is 2 hours away from me[V]. Anyhow, Ill let you guys know what I find. Thanks for the replies.

Nate

Comment

Sounds to me Curt, like your car blew it's engine in '63 or '64 (possibly later) and they went to a dealer service centre to get it fixed. In that case, if everything was usable, they would have put the old stuff back on to the new block. A common way to save money on a rebuild...

Lotsa Larks!
                        Ron Smith
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Mr. Biggs wrote:
                          I was gonna say it happened with the debut of the '61s
                          You're right sir, in that there were some valve train changes made in the 1961 models. Apparently some early '61 models had a problem with the rockers contacting the valve covers, so the second design two-hole valve cover was made a little taller. As you know, there were at least a couple more valve cover changes yet to come.

Dwain G.
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

What were the other changes and when?

53commander HDTP
                            53 Champion HDTP
                            61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                            64 Champ long bed V8
                            64 GT
                            64 Champ long bed V8
                            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

While we're at this, Dwain - why (or for what application) did they make the 4-hole version of the late style valve covers? While I've got one I bought at N&A years ago, I've never seen them installed on anything.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X