PDA

View Full Version : Speedster Seatbelts

motive
09-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Any recommendations for suppliers of lap belts for a Speedster? Also, any hints at where to locate the mountings front and rear? My car has a power front seat.

Thanks, Mike S.

60Lark
09-28-2005, 03:44 PM
SASCO (Studebaker Auto Sales Corp)- 800 722-4295 or Studebaker International - 317 462-3124. The Lap Belts come as a kit with the mounting hardware included.

Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil

dclewallen
09-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Anyone ever tried mounting shoulder belts in a Starliner [the hardtop]? How or should I say where could you mount the belt without a B pillar? Thanks

Darryl C. Lewallen

N8N
09-28-2005, 05:58 PM
The original seatbelts would not be the modern style, there was one inner belt with the "buckle" on it which really was just a friction clamp on the belt, this was attached to the floor with a plastic coated steel cable (?!?!?!?!) then the other piece was just a plain piece of webbing with a steel thing on the end to finish it off nicely, it attached to the rear of the door with a chromed steel bracket and there was a clip on the door panel to hold it when not in use. Somewhere I used to have a page of installation instructions for these but I can't seem to locate it on my HDD at the moment. I do recall the word "Karbelt" at the top of the instructions, and also remember being told that the same belts were used on some older aircraft - a DC-3 maybe?

That said, it's probably better to just drill holes in the floor in the locations of the stock GT Hawk seatbelts and use the more modern repro style, if you're actually going to *use* them. That's what I did for my '55 coupe rather than track down a set of the original style. I tried to do that for my '56 Golden Hawk as it was factory equipped with the seatbelts; I think I'd collected everything except one belt, and I was looking for maybe five years :( So they're hard to find, and I doubt they're particularly safe in a crash either what with the one end being connected to the door and all.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Jeff_H
09-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I put shoulder belts in my '53 K. I got some non-retracting belts from this company:

http://www.andoauto.com/

Yup, no B pillar so what I did was make a heavy steel plate/bracket with a crossbar shaped sort of like a T. The long end of the plate fits behind the roof rail box channel thats behind the headliner and is where the headliner bows attach to as well. Its bolted in with 3 grade 8's. The short arm of the T has a nut welded to the back side and sticks out a couple inches over the passenger area. I got the belt kit with the big forged eye bolts and those then go through the headliner (with a trim washer) and screw into that bracket. I then used a snap coupling (big dog leash) to attach the 3rd pt of the belt to that. The 2 bottom ends attach to the floor. I also have snap on slack adjusters to cinch up the belt when not in use. It works but the downside is since it is non-retracting, once you are belted in and tightened up you cannot move around, lean forward, open the glove box, etc. The snap coupler to the roof lets me detach it and drop it down to the floor if I want to have the rear qtr windows down for a parade or show and don't want the belts to be visible. The whole assembly feels pretty solid. I think in a serious wreck the roof would pull down before the belt hardware could put out or break as it seems to be the weakest link.

I've got some pictures but they are not scanned in.

Jeff

'53 Champion Hardtop

dclewallen
09-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Jeff, Thanks for the information. Please try and post the pictures if possible that would really help me out. I've seen it done by mounting the shoulder harness below the rear side window but I did not like that approach. Thanks again,

Darryl C. Lewallen

Jeff_H
10-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Here is a link to some photos of the install process. Scanned them from prints so they are not the sharpest but you should get the idea.

http://community.webshots.com/album/448243525tVFSGk

Jeff

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff_H
10-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Sorry for the wrong link. Here is the correct one!

http://community.webshots.com/album/466506268ulqbVu

Jeff

'53 Champion Hardtop

dclewallen
10-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks Jeff for posting those pics, it's easier for me to figure out visually than from just a written explanation. I think I'll use this method on my car. Again Thanks Alot.

Darryl C. Lewallen