PDA

View Full Version : Drilling the hole for Reel Type Antenna in my '51

castlepk
09-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the template on where to drill the hole in the cowel for the Reel-Type Antenna (AC-1389) in my '51 Champion?
I had asked Dave Mottle who is the SDC "Keeper of accessory instruction and installation Sheets", but he wrote back saying that he did not have an original to copy for me. I was hoping that some other SDC member might have one that I could purchase a copy from. After 5 years of searching I finally found the correct in good working order Reel-Type antenna for my '51 Champion but I've been told that the placement and drilling of the hole in the cowel is very critical. I was also told that the placement of the hole should be the same for '47 thru '52 cars. I have a restored "Starline" radio already in place and ready to go, so I don't want to screw up mounting the antenna if I can help it! Please e-mail me, or send it to: James Caffrey, 1 Castle Park, Rochester, NY 14620 and I will be happy to reimburse you. I would greatly appreciate any help! Thanks!

Jim Caffrey
Rochester, NY
'51 Champ

Dwain G.
09-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Jim,
I'll send you everything I have, which is everything Except what you asked for! I have the instructions for the manual antenna, and I have some information for your AC-1389. I just do not know if it used a template or not. The manual antenna instruction simply gives somes measurements for locating the antenna hole.

Dwain G.

rockne10
09-28-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't have the template but just measured my 51 Coupe. You may want to await Dwain's instructions to verify. From corner of fender measure out 2 3/4", from edge of cowl measure back 1". This should be 3 3/8" from rear edge of cowl. This should be your centerpunch. My car has the reel antenna installed at factory.

If anyone out there has this template it would be a good idea to send a clear copy to Dave Mottle so it will be available to others.

Dwain G.
09-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Thank you rockne10! Your information is valuable. The instruction for the manual antenna also says the hole center should be 1" back from edge of front fender. There is supposed to be a dimple mark on the firewall. Instructions say set a caliper to 9", put one point in the dimple, and make your mark on the fender at the other point.

Dwain G.

rockne10
09-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Also keep your drill vertical to the ground, not perpendicular to the sheetmetal. You need to drill through the cowl and a double thickness of doorpost.
I have a dissasembled car in the shop. I'll check tomorrow on what the hole size should be.

Start with a 1/8" pilot hole, then enlarge to 15/16"

rockne10
10-01-2005, 10:25 AM
When I made the comment about drilling through a double thickness of doorpost I was looking at a dissassembled 53 coupe. On the 53 the antenna goes through the fender and then the cowl/doorpost. On the 51 the antenna goes through the cowl so there may not be additional layers of steel.[B)]

52hawk
10-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Placement of the hole is critical with the reel type so that the bottom end will be in the right spot,and make the reel useable,and at the same time keep the mast vertical.

Home of the Almostahawk

castlepk
10-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all of the information guys! Hopefully when I can see the diagrams and measurements that are on the copies of the original instruction sheets that Dwain G. is sending, plus using the additional suggestions from everyone else here, it will all become logical and a simple task.

Jim Caffrey

Jim Caffrey
Rochester, NY
'51 Champ