This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 259/289?

I finally got my 64 wagonaire the other day and have been looking at the numbers. The chassis plate shows 64V-P4, 468.
    I assume that this means the 468th V-8 wagon made that year. I have not yet found the engine code, it is pretty crusty. I did find some casting numbers on the front passenger side on top just in front of the intake manifold reading 1554641 with a 4 above it. Does anyone know what this means. Also what current plugs and oil filter should be used? This car is older than I am and the old measurements and oil grades are chinese to me. One last question, what is the HP output and torque stats on these puppies in modern values?
    Thanks for the help.

The engine serial number should be on the top front of the block, just a bit to the driver's side of center, STAMPED into the machined top surface of the block. It is on the same plane as the surface that the valley covers seals against. It's kind of "in behind" the water manifold, but readily visible once cleaned off. If you see the character "I" in any Studebaker stamped number, read it as "1".

On a '64 engine, a "P" prefix would indicate a 289, and a "V" prefix would indicate a 259. The next letter indicates the month of production.

259 and 289 blocks are the same, and either one could be built into the other by substituting crankshaft and pistons, so if there is any reason to believe the engine has been overhauled, one would well advised to actually measure the stroke.

Original spark plugs were Champion H14Y, and have a 7/16" reach. There is a cross up to the current replacement. The full-flow oil filter uses a Fram PH11 or PH25 filter or equivalent, and those are still good numbers. The former is a long filter, and the latter a short one, which may be easier to change in some cases.

I don't think you can go wrong by using a good 15W-40 Diesel-rated motor oil; and I believe it is currently recommended in the Studebaker Co-Operator in Turning Wheels.

I'm sure other folks who frequent this board will weigh in and supply with the details that I could not, but this will get you started. Enjoy your Wagonaire. What transmission does it have? My '64 Wagonaire is a 259 automatic.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The "468" would mean that the body was the 468th 64V-P4 that was welded up. Not necessarily the 468th V8 Wagonaire built. The finished body assemblies didn't get sent to the production line in proper numerical sequence.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the information and advise. The wagon has an automatic transmission. I ordered the u-joints and bolts for the drive shaft today. Hopefully very soon it will move without me having to push the beast.

Comment

I cut through the grime and found the engine code. It read VJ303. so this engine is a 259 built October 3, 1963 if I have deciphered it correctly. Since it was close to the end of the year, is this most likely the original engine?

Comment

Sept. 3rd actually. Studebaker skipped the letter 'I' in that code. In fact, most of the time when you see a figure that looks like a letter 'I' stamped anywhere on a Studebaker, it is actually the numeral '1'.

Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by desertdoc

I cut through the grime and found the engine code. It read VJ303. so this engine is a 259 built October 3, 1963 if I have deciphered it correctly. Since it was close to the end of the year, is this most likely the original engine?

That would be Sept. 3, 1963. It is likely that your '64 model came with this engine. To be sure, get the build sheet from the Studebaker National Museum and compare the number. You will learn other information off the build sheet and it is also a neat thing to have.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X