This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sender Corks.(Float)

This could be a subject by itself... I replaced my corks and the unit worked for a few days only, now it just says "Empty"... I'll replaced the corks again soon, but they need to be coated with "What"... BTW.. I can purchase corks that are slightly larger than original at my local hardware store, just a dollar or so...

Buddy...'54 Champion 2dr

You might be better off contacting SASCO or Studebaker Intl and getting a new float assembly (probably around $50 to $60). They use plastic now for the floats and do not have the cork problem. I believe the old corks were coated with Shellac?

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Hello, I had that same problem with my cork. I use a product made by POR. It's a product that is used to seal or coat the inside of the gas tank. I just dipped and let dry. I repeated the process one more time. The hard part for me was finding the cork that met the right size and thickness. Also, I have seen others use the floats off a parts carb( Holley 4 barrels carbs). They work well. I have seen the old timers use one or two floats off one of these carbs and used them on the assending units. Have fun and enjoy. Also, Hi Dan.
      Also, is their a spell checker we can use?

Comment

I was curious about the use of POR-15 versus Shellac on the cork floats and did a net search. Found a website on repairing carbs,which had a section on treating cork floats. It sounds like Roy is right on with the use of POR-15. For more info on this and other carburetor related topics check out this website: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Troubleshooting.htm

1960 Lark Convertible
        1962 GT Hawk
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

POR-15 sounds like an excellent choice.

Given that the solvent normally used for shellac was alcohol, and that we now see "alcohol-enhanced" fuels in many places, it seems to me that using shellac on a float these days is asking for trouble.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I put a new sender in my car and replaced the cork with a plastic float I took off a old sender from a 80's ford I had laying around. Preventative measure. Its been in there 3 yrs w/o sinking so far.

Jeff

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Stude. Int. has senders for the 47-55 car at 89.95. For the 58-66 it's 75.[B)]

Personally, being that gasoline itself is a powerful solvent, I would'nt treat the cork with anything. If it does'nt want to float, replace it like Jeff did. You could probably get a float at the local junk yard.

Good luck!!

Lotsa Larks!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I would think that whatever POR-15 sells for coating the lining of the gas tank would be impervious to fuel, so maybe that's the best coating.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon
                Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Working...
                X