PDA

View Full Version : clutch adjustment

cosmo
09-25-2005, 08:34 PM
what is the propoer procedure for adjusting a cluth. i just put in a new one with new pressure plate. it seems good i would just like some input on this. thanks

Dwain G.
09-26-2005, 01:22 AM
What car? Complete procedure varies a little depending on whether or not your vehicle has overhead pedals or through-the-floor. Usually, as a clutch wears, the linkage is adjusted shorter to compensate. This happens several times over the life of a clutch. Now, with a new clutch, there is probably too much free play, so you will want to find the adjusting rod attached to the clutch linkage underneath the car and turn it until you have about 1" of free play. Free play is the distance that you are able to push the clutch pedal with one finger befor you feel any resistance. If you have Hill Holder, that may need an adjustment also.

Dwain G.

hank63
09-26-2005, 06:05 AM
Yes, the free play at the top is important, but I also pay attention to where the clutch starts to engage. I try to set that point a little bit above the floor, ie pedal all the way down means disengaged drive line. Car should start to move at about 0.5 to 1 inch off the floor. But that's just me, of course.
/ H

cosmo
09-26-2005, 09:34 AM
63, lark, suspended pedal. I have about 1" worth of free play from the floor, but i made all the adjust ments from the connection at the pedal not under the floor. Should i get under there and adjust that ?