PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Wiring

Rerun
09-25-2005, 02:06 PM
I am attempting to install a MOPAR type alternator in place of the Prestolite on my '64 Daytona. The new alternator has two "FIELD" terminals that appear to be connected to the two brushes, respectively. It would appear that one of these terminals should be connected to my "FIELD" wire, and the other connected to ground.

I would assume that it makes a difference which terminal is connected to the "FIELD" wire and which is grounded. But, which one? One "FIELD" terminal is near the "BAT" connection, and the other is about 90 degrees CCW as viewed from the rear. Anybody BTDT? I don't want any of the smoke to escape.

Alan
09-25-2005, 03:50 PM
I am not shure which year or type you have if you take an ohmmeter and measure between the 2 field posts you get the field resistance readings, should be between 2.5 to 250 ohms. Some years had field load relay in there too, so unless I know what year and case type it is I couldn't tell you for certain but they go to the ingition terminal on the regulator and field terminal on the regulator.

Rosstude
09-25-2005, 11:37 PM
The "bottom” one would be grounded for your application. That is, the terminal nearest the "batt" terminal is the one your regulator will connect to. I think it may not matter which one you ground. Tip, remove the screw holding down the blade (male spade) you wish to ground, and remove the insulating washer(s), then replacing the screw will ground it.

Ross.
57 Provincial
58 Transtar
66 Wagonaire