PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor

vanthecarman
09-19-2005, 02:37 PM
I am looking for a alterative to my Carter 3589S. I know must turn to Edlebrooks, which I did with out much success. It gave me great mileage (19mpg) but was not happy with all other aspects. I just rebuilt my 298 R-1 so the poor performance is due to the carb. I put my Carter back on and the engine runs fine, but the floots stick once in a while. This has been a problem since I bought the car. I had the carbs rebuilt twice with the same problem stickey floots and the milage is down to 14 mpg highway. I am looking at the Holley model 4160 (450 CFM) with hot air choke. Anyone out there used this or any other Holley with good milage plus performance? Thanks

Van

54 Cmdr HT
63 Hawk R-1

Mike
09-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Could your floats be leaking, and getting fuel inside, which would cause flooding? You can check them for bubbles, when submerged in hot water, in a pan. They are made of very thin brass; but can be repaired if you are careful.
Have you checked your fuel pressure? The return line could be plugged, or pinched.
Mike M.

Alan
09-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Get yourself a Carter strip kit with the money you save from not buying that Holly your mileage will be worse and you will have to use a adapter spacer that will raise the carb by 1/2" - 1" might hit hood and other problems. That strip kit will give you everything you need to get it running right.

vanthecarman
09-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks Mike and Alan for you reply. Mike: The floots are good they just seem to hang up once in a while, a little tap on the side of the carb sends them back up. This fuel return line, I have one but has never been hook up. Is this the line that is suppost to be hooked up to the fuel filter (if you have the right filter, which I don't and have never seen one for sale.) I have a fuel pressure gage hooked up to the fuel line and the pressure is 8psi at higher RPM and about 5 psi at idle. The pressure will hold for about a hour after engine off (when the floots are working) One other thing; while warming up the engine I get black soot on the ground from the right side exhaust only, which I believe is inproper float level. Alen: This strip kit; is the same thing a rebuilding kit, if not what is it and who sells it?

Dan White
09-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Myers Studebaker has the right fuel filters for R1/R2 cars, it does have a return, I just got one from him. However, there are several metal can type filters that have the return on them as well. I will look at my old one to see what kind it is. On the other hand I do not think the return line is your problem, they were used to try and reduce vapor lock.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Alan
09-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Go to summit and get a regulator SUM-G3131 $34.95 and drop the pressure down to 3 or 4 LBS. that electric pump is over powering your floats. When you talk to the guys at Summit ask about the carter strip kit, but I think the regulator should do it.

Dan White
09-19-2005, 07:59 PM
You can use a Fram G3583 fuel filter, w/ return. The return will allow you to bleed off a bit of the over pressure, but Alan is right you may need to put a pressure regulator on the line. I have been using the R1 mechanical fuel pump for several years now and it works just fine, no need for an electrical pump booster.

I would not go Holley, nothing wrong with them but a PITA to setup properly. The AFB is much more user friendly.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

bige
09-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Edelbrock says no more than 6 lbs fuel pressure at idle and recommends the regulator be set at 5.5lbs. I have 4 cars with Edelbrocks including an R2 Avanti. No problems for years.

R2 R5388