PDA

View Full Version : Early Lark hitch

JeffDeWitt
09-18-2005, 11:05 PM
I've got a 59 Lark that I want to use to tow a trailer and am wondering what hitch might work on it.

My plan is to build a teardrop trailer to go with the Lark.

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/8'_cubby.htm

Two changes from the on in the picture, mine will have black sides (to match the Lark), and bigger (Studebaker) wheels with Stude wheel covers, not only does that look cooler but I'd only have to carry one spare.

Jeff DeWitt

r1lark
09-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Jeff,

How is the engine work coming on the Lark?

Paul

JeffDeWitt
09-19-2005, 09:15 AM
I'm collecting parts and nothing has gone BANG yet. Hopefully I can do a swap at Ray's this weekend.

I havn't been in an engine in a LONG time, this should be interesting.

Jeff

Transtar56
09-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Your so lucky to have Ray so close.You Know things will get done right.

studeclunker
09-19-2005, 08:07 PM
If you have an 8 in the Lark I'd go with the comet. Budget permitting of course.[:I] Not only would the larger wheels look better, you'd fit better. Unless you're under 5'6". Have you ever stayed the night in one of these? My mom and dad had one in the 50's. We (the smaller kids) stayed in the trailer. Mom, Dad, and my older brother and sister stayed in a tent. They look really good on the lot. Trust me, they are a lot smaller when you are trying to get a good night's sleep. 1200lbs? Please! My uncle used to pull an Airstream Safari (20') with his Lark wagon in the early 60's and used to haul a##. We rarely kept up with him. Course mom and dad had traded in the teardrop for a 28'Airstream Soveriegn by then. Mom's reaction to cramped quarters I guess. The silver twinkie was nice, really nice in fact. It was more fun with the tent and teardrop though...;)

By the by, Cool idea on the wheels! You going with the dog dish caps? Or maybe the full cover?

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

JeffDeWitt
09-22-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm going with the full covers to match the Lark.

So does no one know what hitch to use on a Lark?

Jeff DeWitt

Transtar60
09-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Hey Jeff wasnt there a discussion a couple of years back about the same subject(Lark trailer hitch). Seems like one of the "Rons" needed one and got one from somebody. I was thinking it was Ray, but he would have told you by now.

JeffDeWitt
09-24-2005, 05:26 PM
I did a newsgroup google search before I ever asked and didn't find anything.

Jeff DeWitt

Transtar60
09-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Did you come across this discussion Jeff?
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker/browse_thread/thread/9566e818ab5a16c5/f8251edb612b95da?q=trailer+hitch&rnum=3&hl=en#f8251edb612b95da
or this http://lee.cosw.sc.edu/hitch/

I know its for a C/K and theres probably some fitment issues but perhaps Mr. Scheller has an idea for Lark tow hitches. I would think the shortness of the frame and gas tank location would make it difficult.

N8N
09-24-2005, 09:22 PM
I would think it would be fairly easy to bolt some thick steel plate onto the same holes that the rear bumper brackets use (assuming that the bolts aren't corroded to heck by rusty tailpipes) and then weld a receiver hitch between the two plates.

Now whether this is the *right* way to do it... I dunno.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Transtar60
09-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Thats what basically the factory made reciever hitches are N8.

Jeff, you could take some cardboard and make templates matching the contour of the outside of the rear frame , marking holes at the same time.(You might have to deside to add a few holes) Dropping the rear part of the template down at the rear to clear the bumper and leaving room under the gas tank for clearance. Then buy a universal hitch of the appropriate size , have a welder cut the side plates and weld the reciever and cross tube portion to your side plates. Obviously this would be a do it at your own risk type of deal.

I used a Junkyard Jeep baby Cherokee hitch and had a hitch built for my one ton truck by a competent welder.

studeclunker
09-25-2005, 04:05 AM
Fellas, in my experiance from having old cars (mostly Caddies), any good hitch/welder and fabricator can put a hitch on that Lark. The question is this; how historically accurate do you want it? If you fellas are concerned about a reciever hitch, don't be. They were out in the fifties. Reciever hitches were very expensive, but there. My uncle had one on his '60 Lark wagon. He had an EZ lift hitch and pulled an Airstream with it. I believe a Safari.

By the way, as for historic accuracy? How about a little common sense instead. Modern reciever hitches are far superior and safer than the old bolt on or weld hitches. They are more flexible, and durable. Tell the show judges to go to hell. Sometimes they need to hear it.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

JeffDeWitt
09-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys, you've given me some good ideas, and I'll let you know how it works out.

I'm not really worried about the judges, this car is a driver, not a show car, and when it DOES get shown it's going to be at Tri-State which is a peoples choice show... and that teardrop behind the Lark ought to really wow the folks :D

Jeff DeWitt