PDA

View Full Version : Rust in front quarter panels, eyebrows, floor ...

studeclunker
09-16-2005, 02:24 AM
My sedan has rust in the front panels just where they're folded back by the doors. Because there's a double layer there moisture has been trapped and rust is eating it away. The outer surface is flaking away at the edge of the fold, along the doors.

Some of the correspondents have mentioned a product for rust problems that seems to be a filler as well. I was thinking of using a Dremmel tool to cut away a thin strip of the outer metal and cleaning up the rust then filling with this product. What is it called? Where can I find it? Can it be sanded?

The car is also rusting in the 'eyebrows'. The filler/rust treatment would be usefull there as well.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

Transtar56
09-16-2005, 06:59 AM
I think what your thinking of is POR-15,its like a paint,but really seals well and if properly applied is excellent rust protection.
Your aware that Classic Enterprises in Wisconsin sells the patch panels for your car?
Ive always found them very nice to deal with,the sheet metal body parts are heavy duty,but you'll likly need to do a bit of fabbing and trimming to get things to fit right.
I restored a really rusty 54 Commander coupe using their panels,and the car turned out nice and straight in the end.

studeclunker
09-16-2005, 03:42 PM
I thought about the patch panels as well. The thing is, the area affected (or should I say infected) is reletively small. It's a viable option to cut and paste here. The patch panels would probably be much more expensive and have to be welded in. When one's financial status resembles a Maiden-form bra, one has to be careful of costs.

So... where do I get this POR-15? Will they sell it at the local paint shop?

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

rockne10
09-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Sounds like you're already rusted through? POR-15 is a surface restorative, not a rust repair.
Rust is like cancer. If it's there but you can't see it, it's growing. If you can see it, it's time to [u]</u>CUT it out. THE SOONER THE BETTER.
Get something solid, then treat it with POR-15, rustoleum, waste oil, whatever you want.
Short term solutions will shorten your enjoyment and deprive future Stude fanatics the benefit of your current commitment.
If you're not ready to cut and weld, at least sandblast to clean metal and then fiberglass to save what you still have.
Fiberglass is still a short term solution but no chemical fix I've tried is a good long term fix.
At the very least, immediately spray the affected area with oil, frm inside and behind, get it in the seams and folds.
Save those steel fenders. If you can find them they will set you back three hundred or more and will only increase in cost. Fiberglass Lark fenders are available but that's no reason to let the good original ones fall apart.

Transtar56
09-16-2005, 09:36 PM
http://www.por15.com/