PDA

View Full Version : 62 Cruiser Maintance

EldoMike
09-15-2005, 06:26 PM
I don't have a Manual yet....I was thinking of using 20-50 Castrol oil in the 259 engine...what is the Oil Filer deal....Thanks in advance...BTW, where is the best place to purchase a manual

rockne10
09-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Manual prices are about the same from most vendors; shipping costs vary. You may get a better deal on ebay.
I still swear by diesel grade oil, Shell Rotella or Castrol 15W40.

"what is the Oil Filer deal"[?]

EldoMike
09-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure about the oil filter..it's on top of the engine right...is it a cartridge type?

rockne10
09-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Earlier v-8s had a cannister on top. Filter changes could be messy. The spin on filter in the same position assures a mess. Drain what you can through the crankcase and stuff rags under the filter before loosening.

N8N
09-15-2005, 08:22 PM
if it's on the top of the engine it's a partial flow or "bypass" filter. If it doesn't looks like a normal spin-on then it is either aftermarket or else the optional heavy duty filter. If the latter yes it is a cartridge, just cross to a Fram C4 in whatever brand you prefer. I've had no trouble getting them, although most stores don't stock them, they have to order them in.

Midway through the '62 model year they changed to a block with provisions for a modern style full flow spin-on oil filter, mounted at the passenger side rear of the block.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

EldoMike
09-15-2005, 09:28 PM
here is a picture of the engine...
http://www.classicguzzi.com/stud/cruiserengine.jpg

60Lark
09-15-2005, 10:52 PM
That looks like a Fram C-4, Purolator P-34, or Wix PC-1F, canister oil filter (any one of these should fit in the canister, they are all the same just different Mfrs) I also use 20-50 Castrol in my Studes.

Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil

studeclunker
09-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Eldomike, I don't know where you live. If you are going to use the heaver wts of oil keep in mind that Studebaker recommended changing to a lighter weight in the winter months. They warn in the Shop manual that the heaver wts can be so thick as to cause a loss of protection when they are cold. They describe the consistancy of the (50wt) oil of thick honey or jelly. The company advised against the use of such thick oils. I too have gone to 15w 40 diesel type oils. It has made a difference in my cars.

By the way, your filter looks similar to the one on my '62 Champ. It has a 289. My '62 Regal sedan had a Frahm 'toilet paper roll' filter. Funky but fun! You wanna talk about a mess changing it?[}:)] Oi vay![:I]

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

55sedan
09-16-2005, 01:17 AM
To slightly change topic here. With regard to the 'oil bath ' type filters, what do you put in them? I know I have always heard the 'toilet paper' reference but is there any type of filter/cartridge that does go in them? Or is it really your basic 2ply Sharmin?!!! By the way I am referring to the big pan sitting on top of the flathead 6's>

Transtar56
09-16-2005, 06:10 AM
55 Sedan,that old toilet paper roll trick was actually used as an oil filter in those by-pass cartige type.But don't do it,geta proper filter.
Are you talking about your oil bath air cleaner?
If so,I just use a little of what ever Im using in the engine(Shell Rottella 15-40 diesel).
Just make sure its filled to the correct level.
Ive always heard,and I know Studebaker recommended them for severe use,that the old messy oil bath filters where actually much better than any throw away element.

EldoMike
09-16-2005, 06:46 AM
I'm use to Rotella as I have a diesel van also....might just try that...might clean the old girl out some too....hope not to much!

EldoMike