This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A stude down under in N.Z.

Hi, a couple friends and I have brought this old Studebaker and we're trying to gather info on its history.

Body number is EU-W 14192
    Engine in car U15204
    Spare Engine U14201

We're not sure when the car was imported to New Zealand.
    On the dash is a plate saying the body was built by Studebaker.
    We know the rear section of the body has since been replaced and was converted to a butcher's van in the 1950's, before being used as a farm hack.

We'd like to find out the year and model type.[?]
    Also the spec's of both engines.
    [?]

Studebakers are pretty rear in New Zealand, so info can be hard to find.
    If you could help in any way, your thought's would be gratefully received.

Cheers
    Gordon

Gordon,
    Someone here may be able to decode what you provided, but if you can provide a little more info, it might be easier. Approximately what year do you think the car is? Is there a serial number plate on one of the front door jambs? If so any numbers? Can you provide any pictures?

How many cylinders are the engines? Any other identifying marks. Are the engine numbers you provided cast into the block or stamped on a machined surface (should be stamped)?

-Dick-
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I believe you have a 1927 Standard Six, later in the model year the name was changed to Dictator. 'W' is the factory code indicating a 4 door sedan. Both engines may be correct for that car also.
      Your best bet for accurate information is the Antique Studebaker Club:

They are primarily a pre-war car group, so your car should generate quite a bit of interest there.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

I believe you have a 1927 Standard Six, later in the model year the name was changed to Dictator. 'W' is the factory code indicating a 4 door sedan. Both engines may be correct for that car also.
        Your best bet for accurate information is the Antique Studebaker Club:

They are primarily a pre-war car group, so your car should generate quite a bit of interest there.

Dwain G.
        [img]D:\My Pictures\Studebaker\recovering 280805.JPG[/img]
        Thank's for that info Dwain. It was a bit of a Barn find eh. The "W" did puzzle me, we believe the spare engine came from a crashed car as the front timing chain cover is broken, we also got alot of other valuable parts with it, gear box, diff and steering box etc.Cheers
        Gordon

Comment

Thanks for your reply Dick, yes the engine numbers were stamped, as for the front door jams, well there isn't much left, hehe. Even the chassis is a bit to thin in places and needs rebuilding. Check out the photo in the previous reply.
          Cheers
          Gordon

Comment

Most blokes and all sheilas welcome at The Antique Studebaker Club.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
            X