PDA

View Full Version : tread width

kflan1375
09-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Looking for spec for 1955 studebaker president 2dr coupe front tire tread width(center to center) ,also looking for Mfg.and model number for mustang II cross member ,not keen on stub or sub frame . Want to keep majority of original frame ,excluding original cross member thanks Ken

Alan
09-12-2005, 09:16 PM
55 1/2" with the stock rims if the rims have been changed it could change by the offset difference.

Dick Steinkamp
09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by kflan1375

Looking for spec for 1955 studebaker president 2dr coupe front tire tread width(center to center) ,also looking for Mfg.and model number for mustang II cross member ,not keen on stub or sub frame . Want to keep majority of original frame ,excluding original cross member thanks Ken

Don't get me wrong, I own and drive a modified Stude, but why would you take out one independent suspension and install another? The Stude IFS probably has a tad bit more unsprung weight than Mustang II, but I doubt if you'd feel the diff. R and P steering can be adapted to the stock suspension if that is your goal. If you really want a ball joint IFS, Phantom makes new ball joint control arms that bolt in the stock mounts and use R and P.

-Dick-

Alan
09-13-2005, 12:16 AM
Dick, I didn't ask him if he was going to put in another motor but if you were going to put in a Chrysler Hemi you would want to change the front crosmember, also the Mustang 2 has straight out control arms that are closer than the stock Stude in heights between the inner mounting positions. On the Stude the instant center is out about 15" above ground and 180" back about where the rear quarter window is. When you bring the lines back the bottom of the wheel then to where the opposite cross the moment center is about 3" below ground. The ackerman built into them is so bad that they eat up the insides of the tires. But the kicker is the Phantom is $1,900 but a Fat Man's is $600

Dick Steinkamp
09-13-2005, 11:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by Alan

Dick, I didn't ask him if he was going to put in another motor but if you were going to put in a Chrysler Hemi you would want to change the front crosmember, also the Mustang 2 has straight out control arms that are closer than the stock Stude in heights between the inner mounting positions. On the Stude the instant center is out about 15" above ground and 180" back about where the rear quarter window is. When you bring the lines back the bottom of the wheel then to where the opposite cross the moment center is about 3" below ground. The ackerman built into them is so bad that they eat up the insides of the tires. But the kicker is the Phantom is $1,900 but a Fat Man's is $600

I've got to admit that I know very little about suspension geometry. Instant centers, ackerman, etc is pretty much greek to me <g>. I do know that I have the stock suspension in my Chevy powered Starliner (front coils cut just a little) with 30,000 miles on it now, and the Michelin Symmetrys stlll look like new...even the inside edges. Also, I think you can get a Fat Man crossmember for $600, but once you add the parts that come with the Phantom set up (Control arms, ball joints, rack & pinion, tie rod ends, spindles, rack mount, sway bar W/brackets and bolts) you're at or over $2k. BTW, I've never seen a Fatman set up on a C/K that I've liked. The tires end up too deep in the fenderwells for my taste.

Certainly if you're going to install a front sump motor, you'll need to modify or change the front crossmember (it's pretty huge). And if you're building a G Machine, I'm the wrong guy to give advice on how to make the car handle.

-Dick-

kflan1375
09-13-2005, 09:47 PM
My plan is for chevy power I wanted the tread data because I know what you mean about wheels being in to deep .Trying to gather data before I make final decision , thanks for the response