PDA

View Full Version : Pinion seal won"t heal

charley norton
09-12-2005, 12:20 PM
I had a very small drip coming from the pinion seal. It must of been the original, because neither of the replacements have worked. The original had a larger seating surface and a gasket underneath. The replacements did not. The first replacement was generic so I figured when it leaked it was just a cheap seal. The second seal I used was a seal listed in my Avanti crossover book. It does the same thing. The yoke has no wear on it and I prefit each seal and they went on snug and I used a little grease on the yoke before I reinstalled it. Neither came with a gasket like the original had behind it. I actually tried to put the gasket (the old one) back on before installing the second seal but couldn't get it in there to where I would be confident it would stay in position when I tapped in the seal. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or where I can get one of these original seals? Thanks

63 R2 Avanti

Alan
09-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Charlie did you use National oil seal #765778?

Mike
09-12-2005, 02:19 PM
You're really supposed to use the gasket. I think it was Dennis at Sasco who sold me one when I bought the pinion seal. It's just a circle of heavy paper that goes behind the seal; that's supposed to keep fluid from seeping between the seal and housing.
I have seen the seals installed backwards; and without the spring around the lip. Mine was like that when I got the car. It only dripped a little!
Mike M.

charley norton
09-13-2005, 07:44 AM
I think the national seal was the first one I used. I found that Napa carried the one listed in the crossover book. Don't have it with me but the company was something like NTC. What worried me about using (reusing) the gasket was that the surface of the new seal that went toward the inside of the Diff. had a smaller surface that would make contact with the gasket. I'm not sure if it would be enough to hold the gasket in place. I also didn't see the need in it but now I'm thinking different. The Diff. housing must not be that precision necessitating the use of the gasket to insure the oil doesn't pass between the seal and the Diff. housing. That makes more sence as I couldn't see how it was going between the seal and the yoke. Thanks, I guess I'll buy another seal.

63 R2 Avanti

hank63
09-13-2005, 10:15 AM
You can always try a good quality gasket glue. Ususally works a treat.
/ H

Mike
09-13-2005, 01:51 PM
On my new seal, the wide surface goes inside the housing, against the gasket. There's just a narrow bead to tap against to install it. I drilled a hole in a piece of plywood, with a hole saw, to make that easier.
You can tell which way the seal goes by examining the lip. If there is a spring, it goes inside, where it will be protected.
Mike M.

charley norton
09-13-2005, 05:41 PM
I still had the box the seal came in. I was CR (chicago rawhide) 15788 (from NAPA). This is the one listed in the crossover book. Thie seal had a film on the side that went into the Diff.. It also had the small tension spring on the rubber part. I installed it with the tension spring toward the diff. I think the only thing I can do is get another seal and reuse my old gasket(if I can find it) behind it. I just hope it stays in place. The oil seeps through the front of the diff. when the seal is out to where getting it totally dry may be a problem as far as using gasket sealer. I may just take the seal out and let it sit overnight. Then maybe put the front on jackstands so that the oil will stay back in the diff. Thanks for the help!
Charley

63 R2 Avanti

DEEPNHOCK
09-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Couple items about seals...
That green stuff on the outside of a C/R (Now called SKF) seal is a sealant called 'boretite'. It is used to prevent a leakpath on the outside of the seal case. Proper cleaning of the seal bore is very important to get any old sealer out of there that may cause the new seal to be hard to install.
Also, the 'garter spring' on the inside lip of the seal can easily be ddislodged during installation. A good tip is to pack the cavity of the seal housing with grease to prevent the spring from accidentally popping off and getting caught in the bearings or gears.
The shaft surface is probably the most overlooked area. Does it have a wear groove in it? If it does, then perhaps a Speedi-Sleeve (C/R SKF), or a Redi-Sleeve (F/M) would be a less expensive solution than replacing the pinion. Not hard to install, but worth reading the directions more than once...
Hope the info helps.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by charley norton

I still had the box the seal came in. I was CR (chicago rawhide) 15788 (from NAPA). This is the one listed in the crossover book. Thie seal had a film on the side that went into the Diff.. It also had the small tension spring on the rubber part. I installed it with the tension spring toward the diff. I think the only thing I can do is get another seal and reuse my old gasket(if I can find it) behind it. I just hope it stays in place. The oil seeps through the front of the diff. when the seal is out to where getting it totally dry may be a problem as far as using gasket sealer. I may just take the seal out and let it sit overnight. Then maybe put the front on jackstands so that the oil will stay back in the diff. Thanks for the help!
Charley

63 R2 Avanti

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

charley norton
09-21-2005, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the info, Jeff. I think I have it sealed, now. The leak must of come from around the seal between it and the housing. I spent a little more time looking at the seal this time and thought I may not have had the last two seals in far enough. After I got the seal in, I cut a small piece of oak and tapped the inside of the seal on the part that seats against the inner "lip"where the gasket goes. I wished I had thought of using grease in there to hold the gasket in place as it was pretty tedious work. It doesn't appear to be leaking now, but I can't help to worry some about the spring you mentioned. But if it means taking another seal out to see, I'll risk it. I won't know till I drive the car a little if I really got it this time. That won't be anytime soon. The water pump shaft broke on the way to a car show last weekend sending the fan with clutch and pulley attached into the radiator and shroud. One hell of a mess!
Thanks again for everyones help.
Charley

63 R2 Avanti