X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? CA DMV - no paperwork on 55

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to do with my 55 Commander. I don't have any real paperwork on it. All I've got is a [u]copy</u> of an old registration that states no title to car on it.

I got it last Feb. as part of an estate sale. The guy had bought it new back in Maryland and they didn't issue titles back then.

One of my fellow chapter members suggested buying an out of state title for it. He said that there were companies that sold Nevada titles with all the correct information.

Does anyone have any ideas or leads for me?

TIA

Alana

Let's see if I can post pictures of my cars.

&lt;img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v510/studebaby/DCP_1093.jpg"&gt;

Hmmm...

The pictures didn't show up. Now I suppose I need to go read the topic about posting pictures.

Alana

Comment

Is this it Dashing?

Ebon...
      [img] http://jnautoair.com/images/Texasstate.gif [/img]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2dashing

Does anyone have any ideas or leads for me?
        There are plenty of companys out there that will provide you a title. Here's one... http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

If you are in California, it might be even easier. I've registered a bunch of cars in California that did not have titles. They are pretty easy on older cars that have not been active in their system for several years. Worst case, you'll need to have a peace officer come to the car and verify the VIN number.

-Dick-
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks Railway! That's the picture I wanted to post. I'd only gotten half-way through the picture thread. LOL

Thanks, Dick for the link and the hope about the California DMV. Some other chapter members had recommended someone to help with registering it. But he was all gloom and doom when I called him. He basically said that it couldn't be done and he wouldn't touch the car with a ten foot pole.

Alana

Comment

Pretty simple in California. You can even register it at AAA and the AAA representative can verify the VIN for the paperwork and issue temp title and plates on the spot.

"Oh That? It's a STUDEBAKER!!"

Comment

The other thing to keep in mind, but I doubt it will be an issue, is that the car will most likely need to pass a safety inspection. I don't live in CA, so I wouldn't consider it gospel, but from others who have gone thru the process have stated that the safety inpection (by the CHP) wasn't that big a deal either. The big thing is the VIN being on the car and your paperwork from the estate sale.

Good luck and have fun with the car!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

The other thing to keep in mind, but I doubt it will be an issue, is that the car will most likely need to pass a safety inspection.
                No safety inspection in CA.

-Dick-
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Im sure the rules vary from state to state and province to province,but we(Dad and I ) have never had any problems getting titles.
                  Dad "assembled" one Model A Ford,the frame came from one car,the body from another,the powertrain(thats using the term "power" pretty loose when your talking Model A),but you get the picture,the car came from many doners and no numbers matched.
                  He has a freind who works at the DMV and she does a few things,and vola,you've got a title for a car that actually never existed before.

Comment

Working...
                  X