PDA

View Full Version : AMSOIL bypass oil filter

DilloCrafter
09-08-2005, 12:32 PM
My particular Champion engine does not even have a partial flow filter (probably was removed by a prev. owner). I've read some postings saying to simply change the oil every 2000 mi., and that's an approach I could take.

However, I did see that AMSOIL sells a bypass filter, which can be used in conjunction with a full flow filter, or set up by itself, and mounted just about anywhere under the hood. I assume I would switch to one of AMSOIL's synthetic oils if I installed one of these. Also, if I do this, it will be on a spare Champion engine that I'm going to obtain and have completely torn down and rebuilt.

Two questions here:

1) What do you think/know about doing this AMSOIL bypass filter in lieu of a partial flow Studebaker filter setup?

2) Which is the correct weight of AMSOIL synthetic for this application?

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Alan
09-08-2005, 01:23 PM
I do not know about the AMSOIL bypass itself. I use both Fram and Filko toilet paper filters and change the paper every 1,000 mi. adding 1 quart each time and changing Mobil 1 every 10,000. I would only use Valvoline 30 racing oil for the first 5,000 then go to the Mobil 1.

oldcarfart
09-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I suggest 15W40 AMSOIL for all Stude engines, and the bypass filter is excellent but pricy. go here:
http://www.oldcarfart.com
and click on AMSOIL link.