PDA

View Full Version : transmission bolts -- torque converter

studeclunker
09-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I have a 259 with a manual on it currently. Is it possible to use the mounting bolts on the current fly wheel with the crankshaft-to-converter drive plate?
I know that the automatic sized bolts don't fit the (manual) fly wheel (too short). Are the fly wheel bolts so long as to present a problem? I really don't want to take the engine apart, having to replace gaskets etc, if I don't have to.

Um, one more small detail, the tranny in question is a Ford. No one could be more supprised than I when pulling out the engine and tranny exposed this. It works well... just a Ford.

One last thing... Does the bell housing have to be "dialed in?" If so, the exchange is not possible. You see, I don't have the expertiese or tools. The mechanics in this area just look at me like I grew tentacles out of my head when I mention alligning the bell housing in this manner. A three hundred mile trip to Studebakers West is simply out of the question.

Thanks in advance...

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

N8N
09-07-2005, 05:28 PM
yes, you should align the bellhousing. (sorry!) Otherwise broken flexplates can result. I'd get new bolts for the flexplate and keep the old stickshift bolts for someone that can use them. You will have to drop the pan and the rear main cap to do this.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
09-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Nope, you can't use those flywheel bolts with a torque convertor. And yes - to save yourself grief down the road (literally), the B/H should be aligned.[}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studeclunker
09-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Well, it was a good idea while it lasted.[V] Thanks for the help.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith