PDA

View Full Version : crazy question??

cosmo
09-06-2005, 07:12 PM
I think alot of you guys like to keep your studes stock, which is cool. a good stock car is great and original, but i like to kustomize and i want to chop my 63 lark down about 3 or 4 inches.

dont know if this question is good here or with tech but though i'd start here. i've been doing alot of searches on chops and i just dont know if the same rules of choping say a merc or ford, would apply with the lark.

i'd like to hear from anyone who maybe has done this, and anyone else who has thought of this. what kind of input do you have.

i am also going to post this on the tech side for the hell of it.

Sonny
09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by cosmo

I think alot of you guys like to keep your studes stock, which is cool. a good stock car is great and original, but i like to kustomize and i want to chop my 63 lark down about 3 or 4 inches.

dont know if this question is good here or with tech but though i'd start here. i've been doing alot of searches on chops and i just dont know if the same rules of choping say a merc or ford, would apply with the lark.

i'd like to hear from anyone who maybe has done this, and anyone else who has thought of this. what kind of input do you have.

I don't think you're crazy cosmo. It's your ride, gotta have it the way ya want or it'll never be "right" for ya.

I've never chopped any car, but have helped my Phat brother do 'em. Chopping your Lark should be exactly the same as any car. I'd just be aware of how much the chop will move everything inboard, but a three inch chop shouldn't be too bad. That's just a tad over what we'd call a "gentleman's chop". ANY chop is a LOT of work. Good luck!

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

studeclunker
09-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Please forgive my ignorance, three inches lower where? Are you talking the roof? Interesting...

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

cosmo
09-07-2005, 04:02 PM
yeah, chopping the top.

studeclunker
09-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Well you have picked an easier year than the 62 and previous. Can you imagine adjusting that 'ultra vista' windshield? Yikes! Should be interesting. Post pictures as you progress. Not that I'm a proponent of modifying cars in this manner, but... Interesting...

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

cosmo
09-07-2005, 04:45 PM
probably wont be starting it till next spring. unless by some miricale i come home to a newly built garage. working outside is ok, when it's dry but i'm not taking a chance like i did last year and have the car in the middle of a project and it doesnt stop raining for almost 3 months. that was crazy.

Alan
09-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Cosmo; If you have a job and don't have a welding mach., a shrinker and streatcher or english wheel, a shear and a number of sheet metal hand tools + about 3 months to work on it. Don't. I choped the top on a 53 K back in the 60's 3" and later sold the car because I couldn't stand the clausterafobic ride and the small windshield and rear window. Unless you are good at glass work you are looking at $1,000 just in glass.

studeclunker
09-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Cosmo, I know what you mean about working outside in the weather. Most unpleasant. But hey, what else can you do for fun??[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

cosmo
09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Alan, i actually dont have anything. some hand tools, grinder, could buy some shears. have no idea what a english wheel is? you use it to shoot pool.
anyway i plan on buyibg a welder, i borrow a friends every now and then so i do have some experience with welding.
but honestly its like studeclunker said " But hey, what else can you do for fun?" I'm just going to wait till after winter.

Alan
09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Cosmo this comming Sunday go down to the High Performance Swap meet at Veterans stadium in Long Beach there is a guy there that teaches metal working classes at his custom shop in Torrance it's like $175 for a weeks class if you feel you could handel it after that I'm behind you all the way, but I am warning you too many Studes have been ruined or junked from guys that start something and the old lady or landlord turn Chicken S**t and force you to junk em. And after I did one I wish some one was behind me too, but with a shoe kicking me in the butt for doing something I hated later, too hard to see out of bent over feeling like a vulture driving.

DEEPNHOCK
09-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Here's a couple of Photoshop'd pic's of chopped Stude's
(there are a bunch of 'what if's, and why's there too)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/104540753/104544286zflbez

http://community.webshots.com/photo/104540753/104542239iOZbJQ

Keep in mind Cosmo that chopping a top is not for the feint of heart, or the timid. It will take tools, and skill to do it right, or you will have to pay someone who has those items.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by cosmo

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock