This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matters of life and Studebakers

Okay. I know this post is going to step on the toes of some but I feel I need to share my thoughts.

This is my first post back here since I went though severe health problems. For those "scared" of the NG, you may want to read this explaining my situation: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker/browse_thread/thread/f98c5b5bbcb7524b/59c08a0dd06da336?q=Kent+Fedor&rnum=2&hl=en#59c08a0dd06da336

I am doing somewhat better, though confined to bed, a laptop gives me axcess to here.

I was reading the now closed "Flood" topic, and I must say that I am disapointed in this message board. I mean sure it says not to get off topic, but are we supposed to create a phoney atmosphere where we are immune to the reality of human feelings and life? I hate to break this, but Studebakers are not the most important thing in life: health & life are the most important things, without those Studebaker collecting would be irrevelent. Since my own health problems, which nobody should go though at age 21, I totally realize how life can come crashing down on someone, and isnt it really snobish to disregard a horrible disater in New Orleans when people are hurting and desprate? I mean have we progressed to the point that we dont realize that our club depends on PEOPLE to survive? To most of us, the Studebaker hobby is just that - a hobby, it is not a threadbare necessity of life, suddenly after a disaster like which hit louisiana suddenly things like car collecting (unless your a salvage buyer) become pushed aside with the need for basic survival. I am disapointed that many here have forgotten that just because they themselves are in a comfortable situation and can concentrate on Studebakers or car collecting solely in their life, they try to ban the mention of it here as if almost they are scared they will melt if they are reminded on their "holy" message board that there is life and tragity that occurs outside their little world.

I am not saying that this message board should become the political wars message board like the NG, but I feel that without being able to mention any overwhelming national concern, we are creating a too polite, shallow, unthinking, un-real, un-personal message board built on the concept of 1880's victorian repression of reality social theory.

I have been a member of SDC since I was 15, and since it is my club just as much as Sonny's or others I feel like I am entitled to my thoughts too!

Sincerely,
    Kent Fedor

Kent, I extend my sympathy to anyone with serious problems, health or otherwise and you are included. I did not sense that anyone on this site was diminishing the seriousness of the gulf states predicament.
    You may encounter more perilous tests in your life and as you do it will become part of your wisdom that you cannot focus and dwell on your situation 24/7 and keep your sanity. It does not indicate a lack of feeling because someone continues to go to work, go bowling or work on their old car. Life goes on.

If you research the photo histories of great tragedies; D-day, Pearl Harbor, OK City bombing and the 9-11 episode you will find men with a smile on their face or laughing at a story because we must have hope and dwelling on the tragedy at hand to the exclusion of pleasant things overloads our ability to cope. I'm not a shrink who can explain this in clinical terms, just an old guy having experienced military strife, the death of loved ones, caring for terminal folks and facing my own demise. Enjoy life while you can, you especially know how temporary it can be, and fussing produces little of value.
    God bless.

Comment

In this strange new world of "Red States v. Blue States" where everything but the sunset is politicized (and they're working on that one too) I think that our Studebaker Forum is one place where we can all relax and take a break. There are dozens of political discussion sites, blogs, blogospheres and chatrooms where people can outshout each other on weighty subjects of the day all day every day if they'd like to. I gather there are even other Studebaker sites where there's alot of political talk and we are all free to go there and participate. But here at the SDC site, I think visiting, reading and participating in this forum is a little like going out to the garage to sit in our Studebaker and escape new Millenium reality (and bickering) just for a little while. I know we all have opinions and I think people with all sorts of different opinions agree that the hurricane is an unfolding national disaster the likes of which none of us have witnessed before or hopefully will again. But for sanity's sake, can't we preserve our little corner of Studebaker here in the SDC forums and talk politics someplace else?

Studedude1961
      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

AMEN Studedude, I agree 100%!!!!! We can watch the tragedy unfold on TV and listen to the same on the radio along with all of the political back biting and sniping. We here about it every place we go in public, but this forum (I thought) was a place to go to to escape reality for a while and enjoy a hobby that everyone participating in this forum also enjoys STUDEBAKERS. The moderator of this forum has already locked one thread on this subject. How about getting back to the Studebaker chat and drop the politics. When this started a comment here and there was OK but this is getting old.

Studebaker Fever
        60 Lark
        51 Champion
        Phil

Studebaker Fever
        60 Lark
        56 Power Hawk
        Phil Hendrickson
        Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I agree with Studedude, too. There are plenty of other places to pursue higher truths and vent spleens.

51 Commander State Sedan
          Butler PA

Comment

I agree 100%. Please, please, let's not contaminate this wonderful place (forum) with politics.[V] What we love is Studebakers, so let's stay focused on that!

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
            '60 Lark VIII
            '50 2R5

Comment

Politics??? How is a natural disaster of epic proportions a political event? I agree we should keep our focus in that this is a Studebaker forum. I also agree with Kent. We can't bury our heads in the sand. By the way, the other thread was an inquiry as to how many of our beloved cars surcumed to the wrath of the storm surge. Should we ignore that too?

My appologies to the moderator.

Lotsa Larks!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Dear Ron Smith & everyone else: My apologies. I did not intend to portray the disaster as a "political" event and I don't think my email said such exactly. I was just responding to a small part of what Kent said in his 3rd paragraph about not turing the forum into a place for political wars. I should have made that clearer. I agree with his other comments.

'53 Champion Starlight Coupe
                '60 Lark VIII
                '50 2R5

Comment

Working...
                X