PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep the creepy crawlies out?

ladysilverhawk
09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Winter is just around the corner for us and we have had a very hard time keeping bugs, spiders, mice & squirrels, etc., out of the cars when we store them over the winter. The main reason is our storage is little more than an open shed but we just are not able to build a decent building for a while. We have resorted to a laundry list of stuff we put in the cars including bags of desiccant, mothballs, mildew repellent, and Irish Spring Soap. Then we cover it with a car cover and hope for the best.

We added the soap after seeing it suggested on one of the DIY car restoration shows. I have no idea why but since we added the soap we have far less 'signs' they are in there even though the soap shows a lot of chew mark. Whatever the reason I think it helps but we are still in a loosing battle.

I am looking for a better solution - what do you do to creature proof a beloved vehicle that will sit for 5 months in an unheated shed?

LadySilverHawk
55 President, Dragon Fly
58 Silver Hawk, Dragon Hawk
62 Champ Longbox, Dragon Tail

52hawk
09-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Got Cat?

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

gordr
09-06-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm in the same boat, er shed.:D

And I have a cat, too. Unfortunately, the mice can get into tiny places where the cat can't go.

Somebody makes, or made, giant fabric/plastic baggies that hold an entire car. You basically drive the car into it and zip it up. Anybody here know about 'em?

I used poison bait pellets for the mice last winter in cars that the cat could NOT enter, and it really helped a lot. You go through quite a bit as cold weather is setting in, but in the dead of winter the mouse action wanes away.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

65cruiser
09-06-2005, 07:47 AM
I've got a motorhome that sees a lot of storage time and this is an old RVer trick. Get some Cling Free or other scented dryer sheets and throw them in the trunk, under the seats, under the hood etc. Mice hate the smell of those things. If you've got a hole where something might come in, stuff them in there too:(.

On the plus side, the car will smell great come spring[:p]

I doubt the baggie thing would work. Mice can chew through plastic in a New York minute.

ladysilverhawk
09-06-2005, 09:09 AM
I have cat(s); too, in fact I have worked out a mouse to dollar exchange rate for one cat that is working off his vet bill. Occasionally they leave behind stuff that is even more pungent than what the mice leave. [xx(]

I have wondered about those big sealed bags. At $$$ Iíd hate to try one only to find it damaged by the rodents or ultraviolet light in the first few months. I notice they donít recommend them for outdoor storage. The air filled ones may have a green house effect and probably add mold to my list of problems. The big baggie style ones are cheaper but I donít see anywhere in the sales blurb that they are mouse proof.

65 Cruiser, thanks for the dryer sheet suggestion, I have used that in a motorhome years ago and forgotten it. As I remember it was especially good for spider problems too.

LadySilverHawk
55 President, Dragon Fly
58 Silver Hawk, Dragon Hawk
62 Champ Longbox, Dragon Tail

BShaw
09-06-2005, 09:31 AM
I, too, have used the dryer sheets with success. I have also heard that oil of peppermint causes them to do an Elvis and "leave the building" (or at least the car).

-BShaw
Webmaster
60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion

new53
09-08-2005, 06:00 PM
I don't have the storage problem, but have read and heard about a number of different solutions. I've had people recommend the dryer sheets and the regular Irish Spring soap. A new one I heard recently was cakes of camphor, with the front windows lowered 1/16". I understand the smell isn't too bad, and dissapates quickly once the car is used, plus the camphor helps keep mold away. The car bags have come strongly recommended provided you have a dessicant inside the car to suck up any excess moisture, and you setup the bag inside some kind of structure to protect from wind and weather. Finally, if the problem is just mice, the mice poisons will work, without leaving rotting mice in your car. Typically the poisons dehydrate the mice until they die. They likely would not stay in the car, but leave to search for water and die outside. You just have to hope they die before they destroy anything.

G. Howes

Transtar56
09-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I just use mouse poisen,but lots of it.I leave open boxes on the floor,in the trunk,and all around the car,and have never had a problem,or found any dead mice or sqirrls.
One year I forgot when I put away my 47 Champion bussines coupe,and sure enough the little bastards chewed a hole through my headliner.
I never forgot again(G)