PDA

View Full Version : Flightomatic questions

65cruiser
08-31-2005, 10:51 AM
My 65 Cruiser is a six cylinder McKinnon with a Flightomatic. I've gotta admit, I know nothing about these transmissions. It's noted as a "19 Automatic Trans" on my window sticker, and was a $196.00 option, FWIW.

The gear selector is a PNDLR and from what I can tell, it's a two speed transmission and starts in 1st gear....right? Anyway, there doesn't seem to be a kickdown. If I'm going any speed at all and tromp the pedal, the car speeds up (rather nicely for a six), but there is no kickdown. Is that correct? Can there be no kickdown because the RPMs would go too high if it dropped back to 1st?

I'm just asking because I've never had a car that didn't kickdown if you hit the gas hard.

Transtar60
08-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Unless someone change it out, its a three speed transmision.
Should be a Model 35(AS 98-35) BorgWarner, aluminum tranny.
You may need to check/adjust your linkages.
There are three shop manuals that apply to 65-66 cars.
The 59-64 shop manual, the 1965 shop manual supplement, and the 65-66 shop manual supplement which despite its name seems to be a copy of the 65 supplement printed so early it doenst mention the 230 cid six.
You may get by with the 59-64 and the 65-66 supplement

The gear ratios are so close in this tranny(2.40 to 1 1st[low], 1.47 to 1 2nd gear, and 1 to 1 [D]

65cruiser
08-31-2005, 05:32 PM
Well I'll be dogged. I really thought this was only a two speed, so I took it out for another drive to check. This car shifts so danged smooth, you can't even feel the shifts. But, now that I pay REALLY close attention, I CAN feel a shift at 10 mph[:I], then another around 20, then a 3rd shift at around 30 or so[:p]. Again, that first shift is so smooth, you really can't feel it at all. Danged nice transmission.

Still couldn't figure out the kick down. Well, I finally learned the trick. There might need to be a bit of adjustment, but I found if I tromp the gas TWICE, it does shift to second.

It's amazing the amount of acceleration that little six puts out.

I'm happy:):):)

Roscomacaw
08-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Rambler used that T-35 behind their 6s after 1962. I've owned several Rambler Classics with that tranny and never had a lick of troube with them. The only thing I've heard bad about them was that some develop a cracked case. But it's rare.;)

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

65cruiser
08-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Well, if it ain't cracked in 40 years, maybe it won't:D

Transtar60
08-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Mark if you have the original tranny , it should only shift twice.
From 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third.(If you select Low to start out or stomp on it).

Be careful about stomping on it, if it has the Model 27 rear axle.
I ripped the teeth out of one on my 65 Commander w/ the 194.(It stalled on an incline, started it up and put in gear before engine got back down to idle). That was in 1986.

studegary
08-31-2005, 09:36 PM
[quote]Originally posted by 65cruiser

Well I'll be dogged. I really thought this was only a two speed, so I took it out for another drive to check. This car shifts so danged smooth, you can't even feel the shifts. But, now that I pay REALLY close attention, I CAN feel a shift at 10 mph[:I], then another around 20, then a 3rd shift at around 30 or so[:p]. Again, that first shift is so smooth, you really can't feel it at all. Danged nice transmission.

I don't know what you are feeling there, but that would equate to a four speed automatic (which you don't have). In normal operation, you should only experience one shift. If you start out in LOW or with the throttle floored, you would experience two shifts (three speeds).

65cruiser
09-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Well, you're right, there's two shifts, but I'm considering that when I start out I'm in some sort of gear:D. If I'm dead stopped and start out, the car moves, then I feel a very subtle shift at 10 mph. Then, another at about 23. So yes, it shifts twice, but there's three gears.

What I really meant to say is I could get it to kick down again at 30 if I tromped it. Sorry I was so confusing when I wrote that[:I]