PDA

View Full Version : Hawk music

Transtar56
08-29-2005, 04:07 PM
I would like to have some music in the 60 Hawk.I don't want to cut up the car.
Is there anyway to do it?
Trunk mounted unit,speakers mounted under rear seat?
What have any of you come up with?
I want to leave the original radio in the dash,any way to mount a CD player behind the dash,and keep as much as possible of the original radio?

Roscomacaw
08-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Robert,

Find a 3-piece band of midget musicians that plays music to your tastes. Let 'em ride in the back seat.[:o)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

gordr
08-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Robert,

You can stereos and CD players that can be concealed and run off a remote. Unless you have an auxiliary heater, there's probably room under the driver's seat.

Some of the websites that cater to the radio collecting hobby sell RF modulators, essentially short-range transmitters that can be fed audio from a tape or CD player. They output a signal at a dead spot on the AM band (FM also available, I think). They either connect inline to the car radio antenna lead, or radiate a signal strong enough to be picked up by the car's antenna. You won't get stereo sound, but you WILL be able to play your choice of tunes through the car radio.

I just went and bought a pocket MP3 player from Sony. You cable it up to a USB port on your PC, and it is treated like a removable drive, so you can fill it with MP3s from whatever source suits you. I also bought a cassette adaptor that plugs into the MP3 player's headphone jack, so I can then play the tunes into the stereo in my car or truck. (I have a cassette deck in my GT.)

With a little bit of electronics expertise, you could add an input jack to your existing car radio, and plug the MP3 player in directly. This MP3 player is so small, you could Velcro it to the underside of the Hawk radio and have it entirely concealed.

So there are a number of options....

I'll look for a link to one of those modulators and post it back here. Feel free to e-mail me for more info.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Dan White
08-29-2005, 09:36 PM
There are also a number of vendors now that will take and gut the AM radio and put an AM/FM in it for you and you cannot tell the difference. It is a bit pricey but!!! They will also put XM satellite radio, and/or CD connections so you can run a CD chaner under the seat or in the trunk.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

GTtim
08-29-2005, 10:02 PM
I think it would be pretty easy to mount a new stereo unit under the dash or in the glove compartment and surface mount a pair of 5" speakers on the kick panels or under the dash.
Tim K.

Roscomacaw
08-30-2005, 11:56 AM
I still think the "liliputian" combo's a great idea. A guitarist, a harmonicat and one with a tambourine!:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

GTtim
08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
The trio is a fine idea, but you know what is going to happen. First they will start eating back there and there will be Cheeto crumbs and orange fingerprints everywhere. Then likely as not there will be a fight and all hell will break loose. Seems like there are way too many varialbles that way.
It would be interesting though.
Tim K.

Chris Pile
08-30-2005, 07:11 PM
"A guitarist, a harmonicat and one with a tambourine!"

You realize, Biggs - that most of the younger folks have no idea what a "harmonicat" might be.....

Roscomacaw
08-30-2005, 07:46 PM
I guess you're right, Tim. Between the cheeto prints, the bickering and the frequent pee stops, Robert might end up leavin' the little fellers singing Bye-Bye Blues on a lonely Canadian roadside somewheres.[:0][V]

And , yes, I suppose "Harmonicat" dates ol' Biggs a bit. :D So do Studebaker tho![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

ladysilverhawk
08-30-2005, 07:49 PM
My cheap solution to keeping the stock radio & dash was to buy a small CD/MP3 player and play it thru unmounted speakers under the seat. Easy to take out & put in suit case or move car to car. It works well and is removable so I dont have to worry about unknown doofus walking off with it. This is especially handy as 3 or 4 times a year we take the car on a several day tour and it sits in often badly lighted hotel parking at night. Its not a high end solution but plays my favorits just fine and plenty loud.

LadySilverHawk
55 President
58 Silver Hawk
62 Champ Longbox

52hawk
08-31-2005, 09:45 AM
Hawk Music: When you get that CD player in there,the only CD's you will need are: 'Studebakin'' and 'Studebaker Rebel'by the CALHOUNS !!! Google Jim and Chris CAlhoun--sample songs on their website!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

Transtar56
08-31-2005, 11:47 AM
I think Ill try Lady Silver Hawks solution.very little work involed and no cutting.
How in heck would you put speakers in the kick panels of a Hawk?They 'd have to be pretty thin.
As for Mr Biggs suggestion,Im going to see the Rolling Stones Sarurday,mabey after the show they'd like a ride in a cool vintage car.
Actually,with 85000 people due to show up Ive got mixed feelings about evev going,but Ive got the damn ticket.

Roscomacaw
08-31-2005, 12:51 PM
A picture of Jagger at the wheel of your Hawk. Now THAT would be cool![8D]

Ladyhawk's solution jogged my dim old brain and made me remember that as I wandered west in my Champ truck - some 25 years ago - I'd installed a "stereo system" in it.
I bought a boom box radio and made a detachable mounting for it so that it hung below the dash, right in front of the 5-speed shift lever.
No CDs then - unless you had them with your bank. [}:)] Which I didn't anyway, since I lived hand to mouth for a time.
But it did have a tape player and I had a bunch of tapes of everything from classical to country.
Worked out well - and I would throw an old shirt over it as a theft deterrent if I was gonna be away from the truck for a time.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

ladysilverhawk
09-01-2005, 09:41 PM
:D
I just took my cheap solution up a notch. ScanDisk makes an iPOD knock off that is the size of those little candy bars they give out at Halloween and is 2/3's the price of a true iPOD Shuffler. I'm going to upload my favorite noise to it and play it thru the same speaker setup.

It's much smaller so easily stashed away from prying eyes.
It's not cool enough for your kids to want it.
It has a certain geek factor that I find attractive.
It's a full gig - 12 hours of noise on 1 AAA battery - or so they promise.
It's not white so dosent cry out to the iPOD thieves.
AND when I got it home, low-and-behold, it has a built in FM radio that works like a charm!
Ebay, Best Buy, CompUSA just to name a few possibilities.

Best of luck wiht it!

LadySilverHawk
55 President
58 Silver Hawk
62 Champ Longbox

gordr
09-02-2005, 05:48 AM
Well, I tried out the little Sony "network Walkman" tonight. It's about the size of large pocket watch or an underfed hockey puck:D

Being as it's the size of pocket watch, and has the function of a jukebox, I'd say a good name for it would be "jukewatch".

Had to load the CD with the Sony software into my computer. No problems there. That program then can import any music files already on the computer into its own directory. Hook the "jukewatch" to the PC via the supplied USB cable, and the unit is automatically recognized by the program. Then you just select a music selection from the directory, and hit a button to transfer it into the device. The software automatically converts .wav and .mp3 files into the format for this unit. A CD-length file takes about 2-3 minutes to convert and transfer, so it's not instantaneous, but real quick.

Had no problem playing back. The supplied earbuds are practically worthless, won't stay in my ears. I unplugged the powered speakers from my computer, and plugged them into the jukewatch. Works just fine, considering they are tinny-sounding speakers. I have yet to try the cassette adaptor to play it through my car stereo, but I expect that will work OK.

To keep this on-topic, it'll be a great way to get era-appropriate music playing on a Studebaker radio.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

ladysilverhawk
09-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Yes I hate those junky little comes-with-whatever-magic-device ear buds. I guess my ears just are not sticky enough to keep them in place.

While maybe not legal to wear while driving in all states, most of little players push enough power to play to an over the ear style headphone. It may not be the fashion statement you intend to make but if you are bopping along to the music who cares? Its not the first time I embarrased my kids.

LadySilverHawk
55 President, Dragon Fly
58 Silver Hawk, Dragon Hawk
62 Champ Longbox, Dragon Tail

danweb
09-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Go to the studebaker international web site. They have radios that fit in the dash that hook up to remote cd player in the trunk. They also have stereo spreakers that fit in the original speaker area. Also there`s secret audio. They to can be found on the net.[8D]

62 GT HAWK