This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration question

I'm not sure if this is too broad a question to post here, but here goes. I've got a 51 Champion which is in good driveable condition, with a nice solid body, although with a few noticeable mechanical problems (bad wiring, a few electrical glitches, broken gas gauge). My short term plan is to get the known problems fixed so that I can consider this a dependable driver, and long term is to get the car fully restored. Is anyone able to recommend a person or group who have a good reputation with restoring Studebakers in the New Jersey area? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Why not do it yourself Dennis,thats an easy car to work on.

Comment

Get yourself a shop manual and parts book, some jack stands, a floor jack and some decent hand tools and 'have at it'! As long as you don't cut anything up, most mechanics over 60 can help you out if the going gets tough... and don't forget, there's always the SSSSDDDDCCCC!

51 Commander State Sedan
      Butler PA

Comment

Yeah - we're here to guide you! There ARE a couple of reputable resto shops in PA that work on Studes. It's probably just that my paltry bank account balance (imbalance actualy!) influences my perspective, but I can't see investing what they'd charge you to "restore" that thing.
        Upholstery - paint & body work - yeah, I'd pay for that. But the mechanical part......

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hello Dennis,

You need to get a shop manual and a parts book. Also, you need to purchase wiring harneses if needed form Studebaker Interantional, Studebaker West, and or others stude vendors. Get on the internet on SDC and look at the vendors that are available to you. You still can purchase parts for your vehicle.

Comment

Good point royvaldez... job one is probably a rewire. Most 'original' 50 year old cars are moving fire hazards!! I got my harnesses from Studebakers West ( I think they all come from there, ultimately). Wiring schematic is available via this website, or in the shop manual. As far as I can tell, they're all pretty fuzzy, and they're all in black & white.
            When you're ready to start the project, PM me and I'll see if I can get you a cleaned up version.

51 Commander State Sedan
            Butler PA

Comment

Oh, and while I agree that you should be able to do 90% of the mechanicals yourself, if you do get stuck I would highly recommend Craig Piper, Westmoreland Antique Car Restoration, Blairsville PA 724 459 0118 Craig's business is 80% Studebaker and he's been at it over 20 years.

51 Commander State Sedan
              Butler PA

Comment

The Keystone Region Chapter is very active and very supportive. Chapter President lives in Jersey. Contact him at mo823@warwick.net
                Lots of folks close to you can supply help or recommendations.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                X