This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wagon report

Well........another Studebaker is now sitting in my driveway, the sickness continues.
    Yesterday, my wife and I went on 720 mile road trip to pick up s 1957 Provincial wagon, left at 4am got back at 7pm, long day in the saddle.[xx(] Sorry I missed you Mr Biggs, time was short on the borrowed truck.
    The wagon is a gem, purchased from original owner, who has kept it up very well. My wife is elated, the thing looks good! Tune up, brakes, cooling system service, should put it up to snuff.
    The 66 Wagonaire and the other project Provincial will go up for sale when this one in ready, to (re)fund this one. The Old World meet in So Cal is not far off, should have this baby detailed by then.
    Take a look,

Ross

Ross.
    57 Provincial
    58 Transtar
    66 Wagonaire

Wow! That thing really looks nice! I know a fella that has a 57 Broodmore (President series), maybe his will look that nice someday.

Matthew Burnette

63 Daytona HT
    lots more Studes
    lotsa parts too

Comment

I second that "WoW"...nice ride congrats!

Comment

I absolutely love it. Great wagon.

OkieBob

Comment

Very nice wagon

Comment

Beautiful car. Do you plan on joining the station wagon owners club? If anything happens to Stuart, I would love a 1956-58 large Stude. I just like the looks.

I have a home movie of a dealer driveway of the new 1958s. It looks a lot better than I thought.

Comment

Ross, that's a beauty. I'd seen it for sale before. You scored with that one.

Yeah, I was actualy working on my 58 on and off all day yesterday with my cellphone handy. Figured I might hear from you for directions.
              Some other time, maybe.

T one point, I was groaning about trying to adequately mask the window in the upper tailgate section so I could prime and paint it yesterday. Then I got brave and slopped some lightly diluted dish soap around the inside of the window's rubber gasket. I used part of a paint stir stick to flip the edge of the gasket up to where the soap solution ran all around the inside. Once all the edges were wet, a little hand pressure and that baby popped out with ease! Damn, I was proud of myself![^] And that gasket is pliable enough to where I can use it again once the gate section is repainted.
              With a bit more luck, I'll have the upper portions of this thing wearing it's new white paint before the week's out.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yea, I feel we did well on this one. It was in the August Turning Wheels, I did not call when I first saw the ad. Then one hot day, after working on the "project" Provincial I was discouraged about the amount of work ahead, then the price I thought was high did not seem too bad after all. I am glad I called. The original / P.O. has left a rich history, and meting them was a real pleasure. The people we met, the neighbor who lent us the truck and trailer, really were a blessing to us. An experience that will remain with us, with, or without the car.

Question, what are the driving impressions of those who have but some miles on this year/ model? I do not have many miles to reference.

Ross.
                57 Provincial
                58 Transtar
                66 Wagonaire
                sigpic
                Ross.
                Riverside, Ca.
                1957 Provincial X2
                1958 Transtar

Comment

Well, being that mine is a 54, 59 or 60 wagon (one of each!)...
                  And being they all are pretty much the same car underneath the paint...

They aren't a modern car by any means, but with good shocks, sway bars front and rear, good tires, aren't bad for everyday drivers. I'd take my 59 Lark almost anywhere (the 60's a race car) and the 54 wagon needs a new steering box. Other than that, I wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere either. Both cars have frt. & rr sway bars. That helps more than youl'd think.

Have fun with it.

Comment

I need to find an original rear sway bar for this Provincial of mine. Frankly, I thought they were standard equipment on all 50s wagons and Y-bodied Presidents but this one doesn't have one. Curiously, it HAS the proper spring/shock pad with the extra ear to attach the sway bar link to - just no bar or brackets or evidence that they've ever been there![}]
                    Anyone got a parts car with a rear sway bar and brackets available?[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the input.
                      We have driven a 66 Wagonaire for 11 years, and 150,000 miles, always had a odd flexy frame feel over RR tracks and such bumps(yes, I have tried many things to correct). Have had several Larks, never felt like the 66. It is a fixed roof, and lacks the X member, and counter weights, maybe that has something to do with it.

I see the tabs on the rear spring plates, hmmmm sway bar, gotta start looking.

Ross.
                      57 Provincial
                      58 Transtar
                      66 Wagonaire
                      sigpic
                      Ross.
                      Riverside, Ca.
                      1957 Provincial X2
                      1958 Transtar

Comment

What a beauty! Is it just me or did Studebaker produce some really fine looking station wagons in 1956-1958?

Studedude1961
                        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I agree, do they look good. My favorite part is the front end, grill etc, followed by the roof line.

Progress report, Flushed tank, installed new fuel pump, new brushes in starter, batt cables, and it fired up quickly, and then idled smoothly. Cooling system service planned for this evening.

Ross.
                          57 Provincial
                          58 Transtar
                          66 Wagonaire
                          sigpic
                          Ross.
                          Riverside, Ca.
                          1957 Provincial X2
                          1958 Transtar

Comment

Do you have any pictures of the 66 Wagonaire??

quote:Originally posted by Rosstude

Well........another Studebaker is now sitting in my driveway, the sickness continues.
                            Yesterday, my wife and I went on 720 mile road trip to pick up s 1957 Provincial wagon, left at 4am got back at 7pm, long day in the saddle.[xx(] Sorry I missed you Mr Biggs, time was short on the borrowed truck.
                            The wagon is a gem, purchased from original owner, who has kept it up very well. My wife is elated, the thing looks good! Tune up, brakes, cooling system service, should put it up to snuff.
                            The 66 Wagonaire and the other project Provincial will go up for sale when this one in ready, to (re)fund this one. The Old World meet in So Cal is not far off, should have this baby detailed by then.
                            Take a look,

Ross

Ross.
                            57 Provincial
                            58 Transtar
                            66 Wagonaire
                            53 Starlight

Comment

Boy, you really did well by buying the wagon. Looks like you don't need to do anything major with it. I'm jealous.
                              WOW!
                              Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X