PDA

View Full Version : Cover for Wire Terminal on Fan Shroud

dhodak
08-28-2005, 01:50 PM
I know a gentlemen (who has a 54 coupe) that has an original molded rubber cover that fits over the wire terminals on the fan shroud. Most of you will know the wire terminal I am talking about - head, turn, and running lights connect there.

According to the owner, the rubber cover has been there since the car was new, but was not made by Studebaker. It looks old as dirt so I believe it has been on the car since the beginning.

Has anyone ever seen this type of cover? Who made it? Are they still available as reproductionss?

Roscomacaw
08-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Having worked in the aviation electrical field for a number of years, I can assure you that such things were available for aircraft from the 40s thru the 60s. Maybe even later than that.
In aircraft, where pulling Gs can cause things (like drill bits and metal scraps) to levitate at times - having covers over the lug studs of terminal strips served to keep loose items from shorting terminals to one another in flight. Such occurrances have brought perfectly good airplanes to earth in unscheduled fashion.[xx(]
Whether or not you could locate such things in this day and age, I can't say.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS