PDA

View Full Version : Radio Delete

Blue 15G
08-26-2005, 07:05 AM
May I present a pet peeve of mine that has been bothering me for some time?

You frequently see ads for 50s and 60s cars that say the car has a feature called "radio delete".

I remember when these cars were common, and radios in the low-priced field, and even the medium priced field, were not standard equipment until probably the late 1960's, if even then. Further, it was common to see cars equipped without radios back then.

Radios were optional equipment!

A 50'S CAR CAN'T BE "RADIO DELETE"!

IT CAN'T BE "DELETE" IF THE CAR WASN'T EQUIPPED WITH IT TO BEGIN WITH!!!!:(

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now. [|)]

52hawk
08-26-2005, 07:14 AM
I think you're right Blue !!! And,everybody has to vent some time!!..... I have a clock delete panel from my Hawk....

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

Blue 15G
08-26-2005, 07:35 AM
I was supposed to post this under General Discussion, not Technical. Shows that you shouldn't do things while grumpy!

52hawk
08-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Just one of my pet peeves is "needs restored" Don't they mean "needs to be restored"?????

Mike Van Veghten
08-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Pet peeves -

How bout "frame off" restoration!

I'd like to see a person roll their car over on it's top and take the "frame off" of the car!

Another is "billet".....that one's just that much bullshi....... Most don't even know what a billet is. And it DOESN'T come in sheet or plate stock!

Ok...back to work.

Roscomacaw
08-26-2005, 11:32 AM
My favorite is "Ground up" restoration. Now - WHY - would you take a freshly restored car and grind it to shreds???[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

52hawk
08-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Biggs! Ask Kdancy! Thats what he doing right now-grinding up a 'restoration'!

studegary
08-26-2005, 01:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

Just one of my pet peeves is "needs restored" Don't they mean "needs to be restored"?????

This one bothers me also. Maybe they do it to save on paying for words in an ad (two vs. four). They could use "needs restoration" and be correct and still only use two words.

Roscomacaw
08-26-2005, 02:43 PM
It's a relative degradation of our language, Gary. Not everyone aspires to your epicurian english. Fact is, English has always been evolving. I've often wondered if I could be time-travelled to England a thousand years earlier - would I be able to converse with the folks very well.
We see verbal abberations here all the time. Heh - someone look up "axel" "mirrow" or bumber" and get back to us with the definitions. For that matter, try to find any one of those things in a parts book! You're gonna be lookin' for a long time![}:)]
10 years ago, I would not have believed I'd be using acronyms to communicate daily. Yet I've allowed BTW, IMHO, BRB, LOL and a few others entice me with their lesser keystrokes.
Trying to hold the language "status quo" is as futile as trying to promote daily Studebakering as a wave of the future.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Swifster
08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
LOL! BTW JMHO. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

studegary
08-26-2005, 03:40 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

It's a relative degradation of our language, Gary. Not everyone aspires to your epicurian english. Fact is, English has always been evolving. I've often wondered if I could be time-travelled to England a thousand years earlier - would I be able to converse with the folks very well.
We see verbal abberations here all the time. Heh - someone look up "axel" "mirrow" or bumber" and get back to us with the definitions. For that matter, try to find any one of those things in a parts book! You're gonna be lookin' for a long time![}:)]
10 years ago, I would not have believed I'd be using acronyms to communicate daily. Yet I've allowed BTW, IMHO, BRB, LOL and a few others entice me with their lesser keystrokes.
Trying to hold the language "status quo" is as futile as trying to promote daily Studebakering as a wave of the future.[xx(]

Bob/MrBiggs - In general, I agree with you. It is like p--ing into the wind. Lately I have seen quite a few things that I think are incorrect, based on when I went to school, and when I look them up in a new dictionary they are now considered correct. It will still continue to bother me.
I neither started this topic nor the one item that I was agreeing with and commenting on.
BTW, none of those groups of letters/initials that you site are "acronyms" <G>. An acronym is a pronounceable word formed from the first or first few letters of other words. Common examples are; laser, scuba and NATO.

Dwain G.
08-26-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm thinking the term 'delete' became popular in the muscle car era, when radios WERE standard equipment, or at least were installed in the great majority of cars by that time. Muscle cars intended for competition use deleted any options that added unwanted weight.
Up until that time these were just radio plates, block-off plates, covers, etc.

Dwain G.

Danarchy
08-26-2005, 05:18 PM
I have a build sheet for a 1964 El Camino (I used to own) and it was the barest of bones model. No PS, No PB, 230 straight-six and it was listed as "Radio Delete", because it had a cover over where the radio should have been. Maybe that's where the term came from?

1960 LARK(4-Door)V8/Deluxe Wagon
Dallas,Texas

52hawk
08-26-2005, 06:56 PM
These computer lingo abbreviations really get me. When I found out what FLAPS was,it had me roflmao!

nm dude
08-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Dealer order guide for `63 Avanti says they will be shipped with a radio at extra cost, unless the order specifies radio delete. I own a stripper `63 Avanti, with 3-speed stick and radio delete!

Blue 15G
08-27-2005, 07:51 AM
Well, I see that "radio delete" could have started years earlier than I thought, after reading some of your replies. I still remember them being extra cost options on a lot of low priced cars, however.

My grandfather had a '55 Plymouth Savoy, my other grandfather had a '62 Rambler Classic, and my Dad had a '55 Chevy 210. None of these cars had radios. I don't know. Maybe my family was just cheap. Or hated music! [?]

Roscomacaw
08-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Ah! For the days you could actualy listen to music on AM radio.[V] I think that's why so many Stude AM radios are inoperative. They're ashamed to put out what's on the AM airwaves nowdays![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

BobPalma
08-28-2005, 09:21 AM
:) AMEN to the overall and original theme, here: Radio Delete! A personal irritation of mine as well! That might describe the production-line PART installed in the radio-provision hole, but no Studebakers I know of ever came standard equipment with a radio, so the term "radio delete" is nonsense in Studebaker-land.

(:D Easy on the AM radio content, Mr. Biggs, this forum is moderated for political diversions...!!;))

The one option that may be properly referred to as "delete" would be undercoating. At least toward the end, cars would be shipped with undercoating as a mandatory "option" unless it was specifically deleted in writing on the order.

BP

studegary
08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Bob P. - It's been a long time since I owned a 1955 Speedster and I don't have any way to look it up here, but didn't they come with a radio standard (along with a bunch of other things that would normally be considered options)?

nm dude
08-28-2005, 11:02 PM
According to the order guide for the `63 Avanti, besides the radio, front seat belts were also a mandatory option, unless ordered without them.

Blue 15G
08-29-2005, 08:16 AM
When I bought my (restorable condition, at the time) '54 Champion, it had a radio, but no antenna or antenna hole anywhere on the car. [:0] A new term: Antenna Delete!

Seriously, the reason there was no antenna is that you can't mount an antenna on a front fender that is 98% body putty. [xx(]

gordr
08-29-2005, 05:29 PM
I wonder if the '50s cars being advertised as "radio delete" are simply being marketed that way to indicate that they do in fact have the factory "radio delete" cover that goes over the hole in the dash. Some people actually want those things.

If I were buying a car without factory radio, I wouldn't want a great big hole in the dash.

So I would say that a "radio delete plate" IS a feature, and might well be a hallmark of an unmolested car.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands