PDA

View Full Version : Wheel size for a 53

dclewallen
08-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Today at the local car show I found a real good deal on a brand new set of American Racing Torque Thrust wheels [American Mags]. My question is, what is the widest wheel I can fit on my 53 Starliner? My concern is only on the front [stock] because the rearend has been replaced with one that is narrower so clearance won't be an issue. The size of the wheels I'm looking at is 15X7" with 3 3/4" backspacing. Thanks guys for any help you could give before this deal slips away.

Darryl C. Lewallen

dclewallen
08-21-2005, 05:50 PM
One more thing, My car is currently in bodyshop purgatory so it's unavailable to actually test fit the wheels. Thanks again.

Darryl C. Lewallen

Alan
08-21-2005, 06:51 PM
They will fit but will be real close to the fender lips depending on the tire size you use.

N8N
08-21-2005, 07:27 PM
I can field this one... you will be fine, so long as you stick with something like a 215/70. (actually 215/75 is closer to stock 6.70-15 diameter but good luck finding an even remotely performance-oriented tire in that size) I am currently running almost exactly the same wheel specs on my '55 coupe although mine have more like 4" backspace and they are a press fit but don't hit anywhere. Rears are close to the fenders (from what you say, you don't need to worry about that) and fronts are very close to the tie rod ends (less backspace = this helps you) so in your case I would say go for 'em.

Were your rear end stock I'd be concerned about fender lip interference, but like I said it's only a 1/4" difference from my setup and if your rear is at least 1/2" narrower than stock you should be good to go. BTW the wider rubber completely changes the character of the car, it's awesome looking when you park with the wheels turned and you see this pretty looking old car, and then walk around to the front and see these BIG MASSIVE TIRES poking out of the fenders (argh argh argh) <G>

Just make sure your springs are in good shape, if they are sagging and/or the car is lowered I can't guarantee that you wouldn't get front fender lip interference in parking lot situations.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

dclewallen
08-22-2005, 05:09 PM
I've redone the rear leaf spring setup by cutting off and adding leafs from the extras that were on the car when I bought it [someone had added several extra leafs to stiffen and jack up the rear end and it wasn't pretty]. The front is still stock with the Turner disc brake kit and I'm currently running 225-70-15 tires. Thanks alot for the information.

Darryl C. Lewallen

N8N
08-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Just curious, does the Turner kit change the front track any? I assume any change is minimal but when you are dealing with 7" wide wheels even small changes matter (I suspect if anything they widen the track however.)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

dclewallen
08-22-2005, 07:16 PM
I really didn't notice or check to see if there was any difference in the track width. I suspect that if there is a difference it is very little as the gap between the front fender and the tire did not change enough for me to notice. Thanks

Darryl C. Lewallen