PDA

View Full Version : gas gauge

cosmo
08-21-2005, 02:45 AM
i was wondering if anything coats the corck that is used for the gas gauage. my gauge has been reading about a 1/4 off. meaning that when it looks like it's empty it really has about a 1/4 of a tank left. also it never really goes all the way to the full mark on my gauge.
maybe this is just the way these gauges are, i dont know. i took a look at the unit tody and it looks fine, i could tell the corck is rally old, still holding together but it almost looks like it was coated with something at some point.
any ideas?

Dan White
08-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Buy a new sending unit from one of the Stude vendors. It is not worth the headache to mess with the old cork ones, the new ones are plastic. The old corks were coated with some type of shellac to make them gas proof, it wears away over time. I replaced mine and the problems like you describe went away. Studebaker Intl. has them for $75 I believe. SASCO has the same units for about the same price.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

bing kunzig
08-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Mine does the same thing. Never goes past 3/4 or less than 1/4. Could it be the gauge and not the sending unit?

MarkC
08-22-2005, 05:29 PM
For what it's worth, there may be nothing wrong with the floats. The level indication can be adjusted by bending the float arm. My experience is that when replacing the sending (tank) unit, some adjustment is generally necessary. After a couple of tries, I got mine to read properly. Your method may vary.

As for the dash (gauge) unit, the ones on the late Lark types are sealed and most easily serviced by replacing with a known good one.

Good luck.

Mark

MarkC, 64 Y8
Working in Spokane, WA