This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude' t-shirt

Wednesday I wore one of my stude Museum t-shirts to a used car auction. These shirts often get comments from strangers.A guy in his early 60's told me I'm showing my age by wearing that shirt! Any way,he went on to tell me he has owned several Studes,and about 8 Avantis over the years.He had owned one of the 61 rumble seat Hawks-the same one pictured in TW [Ican't find that issue,but the car was flamingo].I asked if he had any idea what ever happened to the 2nd one,he said no.He also claimed to be the original owner of the dual supercharged Avanti that set the land speed record."It was a shame what that kid did to that car" "it was fast enough with one supercharger!"
    A very interesting conversation!!!!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

It is my understanding that Duo Cento (the twin supercharged, fuel injected Avanti) did not set any records--clocked at about 196 mph! But the R3 Avanti certainly did. And I'd be surprised if Studebaker or the Granatellis sold Duo Cento--although stranger things have happened. I'd really like to learn more about the Stude efforts at the Salt Flats. Andy said in his book that a stock R2 was timed at 159 mph at the Salt Flats, but I would tend to look a little askance at that. Long live the Avanti, even if a lot of you hate the looks, you'll never mistake one for anything else![^]

wagone and cursed Avanti I

Comment

Working...
    X