This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake line stuck on MC

I'm trying to remove the master cylinder and the brake line connection won't budge. I used a brake line wrench which is nothing more than a closed end wrench with part of it opened enough to slip over the brake line. That stripped the nut. Any ideas how I can get this off? At this point I'm not sure if I will be replacing the main metal brake line but if I have to cut it off, so be it.

Proud owner of a 1956 President Classic

Use lots of Kroil or other pentetrating oil and try vise grips, but best to make a new line.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    JDP Maryland

Comment

The brake system in my '54 Champ was in very, very poor condition. I made all new brake lines from components purchased at my local Bumper to Bumper. To remove the lines from the fittings I wanted to save, I cut off the brake line, put the unit in a vise and used vice grips.. Worked every time... go to msn.com, search 1954 Studebaker and there is a picture of what my brakes looked like. There will be more pictures and commentary soon. Good luck with your project.

Buddy...'54 Champion 2dr

Comment

Perhaps it would be good to figure on just making a new metal line now - but if I know your car right, that line screws into a brass banjo fitting on the rear of the master cylinder. And assuming that's the case, you shouldn't have had to deal with that line nut in the first place.
        There's a hollow banjo bolt (takes a 3/4" wrench) that secures that brass banjo fitting to the end of the MC and that's what I take loose when dealing with said master cylinder on these sedans - not the actual line nut.

BTW - I was working with a friend a couple months back - using his tools to do the work on his truck. He had a set of "line wrenches" such as you describe. These were some nice, shiney, "Chang-Dow Industries" tools from a discount tool store.
        Upon trying to turn a stubborn brake line nut with his 3/8ths line wrench, it was obvious that I was only gonna succeed in rounding off the nut. I gave up an went to MY tool box to retrieve the same-sized line wrench from my Snap-on set. The same set I've had for 30+ years.
        Back under the truck, the nut yeilded to my line wrench with ease. The point is, tools are like anything else - you get what you pay for.
        I'm not saying you have to take out a second mortgage or offer up your first-born so you can buy Snap-On - but Sears still offers quality tools at a reasonable price.

Not pickin' on you or your tools, iceman. Only using the moment to make a point. A screwed up brake line can have you layin' ont money for a set of double-flare line tools - and they aren't cheap!

On this President, if you DIDN'T break that nut loose and the line that it secures to the banjo fitting still looks OK, I'd leave it alone and just undo the banjo bolt so you can remove the MC. And don't forget the copper sealing washers on either side of that banjo fitting when you install the new MC!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You are correct. I totally overlooked trying to turn the banjo bolt. I only tried twice to rotate the other nut so it isn't too damaged but it is securely connected to the banjo bolt. The tool I was trying to use was an old one from my father-in-laws collection. Looks like it's time for a new Snap-On.

Thanks again for all the great input from everyone. This should get me through the brakes.

Proud owner of a 1956 President Classic

Comment

I have MAC and Snatch-on,line wrenches,and a set of Craftsman. When brake lines are really tight,they still give way to the old vise-grips..

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I have to sympathize. Years ago I befriended a guy who ownes ashop with all the good toys.
              I procure coils of stainless line from Dillsburg Aeorplane Works in Dillsburg, Pa,(at a price equivilent to standard steel line), use new steel fittings, my friend's Snap-on hydraulic double flaring tool and replace everything before it causes a problem. Sorry!
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X