PDA

View Full Version : holley or edelbrock

benny_64
08-17-2005, 12:57 AM
from what i have seen it is edelbrock that most favor when it comes to studes. but can you run a holley on a stude, or is it just a bad set up. i only ask because my buddy has a road demon for cheap cheap, barely used, he couldn't tune it so he took it off.

slow64
1964 lark daytona
bd_marks@yahoo.com

Roscomacaw
08-17-2005, 01:32 AM
I'd say, if he had trouble with it, why torture yourself as well![:0]

I gave a friend a brand new Holley to use on his Lark. After a few frustrating weeks, he gave it back.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dan White
08-17-2005, 06:51 AM
The previous owner of my R1 Hawk had put a Holley on it. I finally dumped the carb after fooling with it for a couple of years, and replaced it with a Carter (same as Edelbrock) AFB. I don't think there is anything wrong with using a Holley, they just don't seem to be as user friendly.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

r1lark
08-17-2005, 07:18 AM
Benny,

Pretty much the same experience as Dan.....I had a Holley on my R1 Hawk, and played with that thing for several years, changing jets, secondary springs, etc. Worked great at wide open throttle <G>, but I was never satisfied with the idle and low speed performance.

Got an Edelbrock AFB with electric choke, and it was perfect 'out of the box'. I did play around with metering rods, etc but went back to what was originally in the carb.

I am getting ready to buy a 500 cfm Edelbrock AFB for my '63 Champ truck (.040 over 259, R2 cam and springs). I still have the Holley I used on the Hawk, but I feel the Edelbrocks are so much better for my type of driving that I am going to pop for a new AFB.

Paul

DEEPNHOCK
08-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Big reason for the popularity of the AFB is you can set it up without running a carb mount adapter.
The bolt pattern of a Holley 4bbl is too wide for the Stude casting.
The AFB will fit right on the OEM studs (4bbl).
Another reason for AFB's being popular is you can change jets and metering rods without spilling gas all over the top of your engine. The AFB is sort of a bathtub shape by design and all the gas stays in there. The Holley can be a bit of a pita in that area.
I have had two Holley carb gas leak fires and one real close call in the last 30+ years of hot rodding around. Never had that with an AFB.

If it were my allowance to spend, I'd pop for the AFB....every time.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by benny_64

from what i have seen it is edelbrock that most favor when it comes to studes. but can you run a holley on a stude, or is it just a bad set up. i only ask because my buddy has a road demon for cheap cheap, barely used, he couldn't tune it so he took it off.
slow64
1964 lark daytona
bd_marks@yahoo.com

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Mike Van Veghten
08-17-2005, 10:12 AM
Beside the bolt pattern difference...which is negated when you have to use an adapter anyway....

There isn't too many Holleys to choose from that are 500cfm. I believe there is a 450, but that's almost as small as a 600 is big.
The ease of tuning....which not many people actually do.

I've found over my "many" years...a Holley is worth a little more power, an Edelbrock/Carter is worth a little milage/driveability.

I've had a 600cfm Holley on my 259 Lark. It acted pretty much the same as the 600cfm Carter I tried.....too big.

Roscomacaw
08-17-2005, 01:37 PM
The Holley I gave my buddy (well, he DID ask if he could have it - it wasn't like I was tryin' to do him dirty[:0]!) was a 450. Brand new - never been mounted to anything. He wanted to use it on the 259 in his 60 Lark. And just as has been said here, open throttle was pleasing but anything less was aggravation. It WOULD run - just not well.
He had that thing apart and revised on numerous occassions only to end up taking and building a tired WCFB I had lying around and being happy as a clam ever since.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

casey
08-17-2005, 05:05 PM
I put a new 500 cfm Edlebrock on a rebuilt(stock)289. Works great. This engine resides in my Lark type.

My Hawk and Champ truck both have 289s with oversize pistons (.040 & .080 respectively), way oversize valves (R3 basically) and R3 headers. I've struggled with old AFBs on both these vehicles and now I just want to buy new and get it over with. Should I go with the 600 cfm or 500 cfm Edlebrock? -- thanks

Mike Van Veghten
08-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Casey,

The 500 CFM.

Unless your combination has about 150% volumetric efficincy and revs to 7000rpm, the 500 will give the best of everything.

casey
08-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Mike- thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

mtdoraford
08-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Benny 64.....Both good carbs. The old carter carb is now from Edlebrock. In finishing a 28 buick with a 350 chevy, I first tried the ebrock. Had problems, float sticking. Bought a new Holley and had the same problem. Rebuilt both carbs and now back with the Holley. Using an original gas tank that was cleaned and coated prior to fueling. I've had several friends helping to keep the different carbs working. So far so good. I would use two gas filters one off the tank line and one between the fuel pump and carb. I would put in a new fuel line prior to going for the new carb.
Sometimes it can be a pain in the butt, keeping it going.:) Dirt/rust is the problem with most carbs!

mtdoraford
08-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Benny 64.....Both good carbs. The old carter carb is now from Edlebrock. In finishing a 28 buick with a 350 chevy, I first tried the ebrock. Had problems, float sticking. Bought a new Holley and had the same problem. Rebuilt both carbs and now back with the Holley. Using an original gas tank that was cleaned and coated prior to fueling. I've had several friends helping to keep the different carbs working. So far so good. I would use two gas filters one off the tank line and one between the fuel pump and carb. I would put in a new fuel line prior to going for the new carb.
Sometimes it can be a pain in the butt, keeping it going.:) Dirt/rust is the problem with most carbs!