PDA

View Full Version : 55 coupe project

thom
08-16-2005, 01:57 PM
I got carried away & seperated the outer & inner RH fender for my 55 by cutting the fender . At the time I was sure I could find a better fender even if it was a different model . Such has not been the case . Now I might try putting the inner & outer back together . Im thinking since my car is modified already maybe I should cut the other side & make new custom inner fenders .I might make a new radiator support & the other sheetmetal pieces that attach to the support & inner fenders like is common practice on race cars . Anybody on here done so & lived to tell about it ? Anybody know of pictures I can find of similar work ? Thanks

thom

whacker
08-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Why don't you go with fiberglass? You could get a one piece 43 coupe front and build the radiator support, or if you want to keep th 55 look you could just buy the fiberglass fenders. Just a thought.

DEEPNHOCK
08-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't know how close this is to your project, but if you find good metal somewhere, even if it is just parts of what you need, you can weld Stude sheet metal together very nicely...
Here I took two bad Hawk fenders and made one very nice one. One fender was crunched bad in the front, and the other was a total rustout on the back edge, but the front was nice...
Less than a days work and I had a nice, solid fender...

http://community.webshots.com/album/424910290NqKCak

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by thom

I got carried away & seperated the outer & inner RH fender for my 55 by cutting the fender . At the time I was sure I could find a better fender even if it was a different model . Such has not been the case . Now I might try putting the inner & outer back together . Im thinking since my car is modified already maybe I should cut the other side & make new custom inner fenders .I might make a new radiator support & the other sheetmetal pieces that attach to the support & inner fenders like is common practice on race cars . Anybody on here done so & lived to tell about it ? Anybody know of pictures I can find of similar work ? Thanks
thom

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

rockne10
08-16-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm trying to imagine a 43 coupe...

whacker
08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah! A 43 would have been cool! I guess I meant a 53!

Roscomacaw
08-16-2005, 10:17 PM
A 43 coupe would have had tracks and a short canvas roof![8]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

thom
08-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks guys, Hey Deepnhock , did you use the inner panel that went with the front half ? I would be glad to do what you did , but so far have not found two fenders worth grafting together . Its a shame too, because the rest of my 55 coupe body is in very good condition . Even the floors are solid . I would like for my car to turn out looking like the one on the North Carolina chapter web site in the tech piece about headliner replacement . I wouldnt paint mine green though. Im thinking bronze & cream two-tone.Thanks again .

thom

DEEPNHOCK
08-17-2005, 07:49 AM
I drilled out each spot weld and removed the outer skin from the inner structure. Then took the best pieces and out it all back together and welded it all up. Had to rework a few small rotten pieces, but after it was all back together, you couldn't tell the difference.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by thom

Thanks guys, Hey Deepnhock , did you use the inner panel that went with the front half ? I would be glad to do what you did , but so far have not found two fenders worth grafting together . Its a shame too, because the rest of my 55 coupe body is in very good condition . Even the floors are solid . I would like for my car to turn out looking like the one on the North Carolina chapter web site in the tech piece about headliner replacement . I wouldnt paint mine green though. Im thinking bronze & cream two-tone.Thanks again .

thom

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock