PDA

View Full Version : new here with 55 coupe

thom
08-15-2005, 10:26 PM
I have a 55 coupe , slightly modified . It has a 472 Cadillac engine & 400 Turbo trans . I have not changed the rearend yet , but plan to install a GM , possibly a S10 truck . I am working on installing GM disc brakes on the front . I changed out the Saginaw ? steering box for a Ross box from a GT Hawk to get exhaust manifold clearance . I didnt get the drag link with the Ross box . The old one is too short. Can someone tell me if the taper on the ends is the same as any other make of car ? Im thinking I might be able to buy a tie rod assy for a Ford or Chevy that would work ? Another problem I have is I dont have the radiator support for my car , the one I got with it turned out to be an earlier ( bullet-nose ) support . Can someone provide enough dimensions so I can make my own support ? I have many questions , but will stop for now . Thanks & happy motoring to you & yourn .

thom

Roscomacaw
08-16-2005, 12:42 AM
thom, I'll have to look tomorrow - I may have a 55 rad supposrt here from one I parted out a couple of years ago.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dan White
08-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Thom:

You might want to take a look at the Turner or Levesque disk brake setups. They are pretty much bolt on and could save you a lot of time and money than trying to do your own.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

thom
08-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks, Actually it would have been easier & less time consuming to use what Turner Brake offers . However , I made my own caliper mounting brackets before I discovered Turner Brake. My brackets look like the ones they offer . If I do the swap again I probably would buy instead of fabricate.:)

thom

52hawk
08-16-2005, 08:29 AM
Thom,don't scrap that Saginaw-- I think lotsa Stude folks might be interested in it!!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

thom
08-16-2005, 01:47 PM
I saved it for future use . Keep in mind that changing between the two , saginaw & ross, moves the pitman shaft about 2 inches front to back ,or back to front in the chassis . Handy to know when doing engine swaps .[8D]

thom