This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain water in Avanti

I recently sold my 63 R1 to my brother, he just told me that with the almost daily rains in S. Carolina, he is collecting water in the doors, SLOSH! He opened the trunk to charge the battery & found 3" of water in the spare recess! In my 20 years of ownership I never had such issues, of course it was always garaged, well, yes I drove it in rain, and washed it, but we are wondering if others have had these problems. The car has always a "weak" charging system.. replaced alternator & Presolite regulator years ago, only minor improvement, is changing to the GM single-wire alternator the first choice of cure? Thanks, Gerhardt

Avantis have a bit of an identity crisis. They actualy think they're cisterns.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of the 'easy' single wire alternator setup.
      You have to add a dummy load someplace and it is not the most ideal setup. I know there are tons of them out there, but I have fixed problems with more than a few cars that have them.
      I'd be more of a proponent to have what you have on there rebuilt by a 'good' rebuilder that will check everything and rebuild it.
      One mans' opinion....
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Gerhardt

I recently sold my 63 R1 to my brother, he just told me that with the almost daily rains in S. Carolina, he is collecting water in the doors, SLOSH! He opened the trunk to charge the battery & found 3" of water in the spare recess! In my 20 years of ownership I never had such issues, of course it was always garaged, well, yes I drove it in rain, and washed it, but we are wondering if others have had these problems. The car has always a "weak" charging system.. replaced alternator & Presolite regulator years ago, only minor improvement, is changing to the GM single-wire alternator the first choice of cure? Thanks, Gerhardt
      DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
      '37 Coupe Express
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer
      '61 Hawk
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

And here's one of those rare moments when Jeff an me are in agreement. The one-wire alternators are appealing but I've heard less than flattering comments regarding them after they've been adapted.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have a one wire in my '55, it seems to charge OK but the battery was dead last time I went to start it. Related? Dunno. will have to investigate and report back.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

i can relate to the floating spare story. when i bought the avanti i have now it came in off the passport truck with a strange noise emanating from the trunk. The trunk release cable wouldn't move so a few days later it was time to take a dive in the access hole and release the latch. sure enough, the spare was floating.i ordered a cable, along with a rear window rubber and trunk lid rubber from stud intl. pulled rear window(no fun involved) installed gasket and installed gasket on trunk adjusted lid and voila! no more floating spare. (just incase drilled hole in lowest part of spare well) but it hasn't leaked this year. maybe that operation will cure your symptoms. ya'll have fun, later

Comment

oh by the way the alternator deal... keep it original...either replace the regulator or giv'er a tap once in a while. andiamo

Comment

Simplest way is to drill a small hole at the front of the spare tire well in the trunk and the same at the bottom of the doors, say about a 1/16".

Comment

Working...
                X