PDA

View Full Version : correct length of hood prop

bing kunzig
08-15-2005, 02:50 PM
The hood prop on my '57 Silver Hawk is approx 28". It seems like the hood should go higher when resting on the prop which would provide much better access. If someone has a similar car, could you measure the length of yours? I have located one on the internet but don't want to buy it if it's it's the same as the one I have.

Mike Van Veghten
08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
While I don't have a Hawk, nor know how long it should be....the hood on my Lark seemed like it should hang up there a little higher also.

I bought another hood prop at a swap meet, cut it to a desired length, cut the stock rod, welded the two together, a little filing, a little semi gloss black paint, you can't tell it's been modified.

If I remember correctly, I believe I added "about" 3" to the overall length.

N8N
08-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Bing,

when stowed, does the hood prop of your Hawk go across the whole of the radiator baffle before the first bend?

I don't see how you would really get a hood prop longer than stock to fit correctly under the hood, although I'd be open to suggestions - you do have to be a bit careful around the hood of a Hawk.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

StudHawk60
08-15-2005, 04:25 PM
I just measured the rod on my 60 Hawk. A straight line measurement, with the hood propped up, from the lower attach point on the rad support to the hood attach point, (ignoring the bend in the rod), is about 31". The length of the rod, following it's bend is about 34". Interestingly, the length of the rod from the lower attach point to the bend is 28". It could be that your support rod has been cut off at the bend.???????[?]

bing kunzig
08-15-2005, 06:23 PM
To N8N, the hood prop does go across the whole radiator baffle before the bend, but you said 'first" bend. On mine there is only one bend at the end.
To StudHawk60, yours is definitely longer than mine. From tip to tip it is 28 3/4"

N8N
08-15-2005, 06:52 PM
there should be two bends... wish I had a Hawk to take a pic of so you could see what it's supposed to look like

Is it possible that you have a hood prop from a 53-55 or sedan/Lark type? I am thinking you may have the wrong one.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

bing kunzig
08-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Well there are two bends-one at the beginning and one at the end. But your description made me interperate that there were two bends at the end that props up the hood. I hope this isn't getting two fuzzy. First Studebaker-a lot to learn.

StudHawk60
08-16-2005, 05:13 PM
If you want, I can take mine out and take a photo of it to show you all the bends.[:p]