PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock/Carter Carb Vacuum Ports

Dan White
08-14-2005, 06:17 AM
Looking at the "New" AFB carbs I am assuming that the large center front port labeled for PCV and the one in the center rear, designated for power brake vacuum are the same type, i.e. they are interchangeable?

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

gordr
08-14-2005, 01:48 PM
I just installed a 1403 on my '63 GT Hawk. Works great. I capped the fitting on the front of the carb, and screwed a hose nipple into the rear fitting for the PCV hose.

Distributor vacuum line goes to the small nipple on the passenger side, and the other small one is capped.

I attached my stock throttle linkage rod to the large hole in the throttle lever. Used my lathe to build a special stepped nut/bushing that fits the large hole with a 1/4-28 thread to match the rod end on the linkage rod. I haven't yet checked if I can get full opening on the secondaries with this setup, but if I don't, it would likely be due to carpet interference with the pedal. It IS nice to have as long a "throw" on the accelerator as is practical; if you attach the throttle linkage too close to the axis of the throttle shaft, you get a very drastic-acting accelerator.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Dan White
08-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks Gordon. I have had a new Carter AFB on for sometime and am just in the process of redoing the hoses and cleaning up the engine compartment and wanted to move the PCV to the rear port, which now it looks like I can.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Rerun
08-14-2005, 03:03 PM
I installed a 1403 on my '64 Daytona. My hose set-up is similar to what Gordon describes. I used the rear port for the PCV valve, but I used a PCV valve that screws directly into the port, like the original AFB on my Avanti. This PCV valve is available at NAPA, Echlin #29267. Then I just ran hose to the port on the valley pan. Works well.

For the throttle linkage, I drilled out the hole just behind and below the large hole, and used the original ball end of the linkage. Rather than mount the carb on a spacer, I cut off the bottom of the linkage to clear the manifold. I also removed the choke tube and plugged the holes, for clearance. I did this to keep the overall height low enough to use the original air cleaner housing (made a ring adapter to suit the Edelbrock diameter.

Jim Bradley

curt
08-14-2005, 03:21 PM
What PCV valve works in the 289? Any workable numbers will be apperciated.

Roscomacaw
08-14-2005, 05:09 PM
curt - I've not seen the number 29267 that rerun mentions but if it works for him, it should work on your 289. If your carb doesn't have a threaded hole - you could always buy a hose nipple to screw onto the threaded end of the PCV valve and use it as an inline with some vacuum hose and clamps Just make sure you get the flow direction of the PCV valve oriented right.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

Dan White
08-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Rerun, the Avanti/R series engine PCV hooked up to the tube out of the oil pan I believe?

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Rerun
08-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Actually, IIRC, my R1 had two PCV valves. One was threaded into the base of the AFB, and was connected by a hose to a fitting on the valley pan. The second PCV valve was "stuffed" inside the lower end of the hose that ran from the right side of the air cleaner to the tube on the right side of the oil pan. As far as I know, this was the factory set-up. Can any other R1 owners confirm this?

Jim Bradley

Dan White
08-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Rerun, the oil pan breather tube has a large tube and also a small tube that splits off of it. On mine the larger tube has a hose that runs to the air cleaner, but no PCV in line. The previous owner capped off the smaller tube, but I believe that is where the line runs to the PCV on the back of the carb. I am correcting this on mine, but I am not sure since I cannot find an R series diagram of how these hoses run.

Maybe someone with a unmodified R1 could help.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Rerun
08-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Dan,

Now that you mention it, I recall the smaller PCV hose going to the fitting as you describe. The chrome valley pan on the R1 probably didn't have a fitting.

Jim Bradley

MarkC
08-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Just an FYI, when selecting a carb port to use for the distributor vacuum advance, make sure you test the one you plan to use to make sure it operates the way you want. For example, I want to use a port that supplies full manifold vacuum at idle, not "ported" advance that comes on board once the throttle is opened.

("Ported" advance became popular in the late 60's when emission controls were still in their infancy. This allowed retarded timing at idle, while allowing advanced timing when the throttle was opened.)

The carb I have is a Weber version of the 500 cfm AFB that I've been told is functionally identical to the Edelbrock. But, none of the available distributor vacuum ports (small ports, not the larger ones used for the PCV system) supplied full manifold vacuum at idle. They were all ported. I ended up using a "T" off the rear of the manifold (that also feeds the power brake booster when equipped).

Your method may vary.

MarkC

MarkC, 64 Y8
Working in Spokane, WA

Dan White
08-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Rerun please note that the NAPA number you provided for the PCV valve is incorrect 29267 is for a 6 cylinder '65/'66 Studebaker, not '64 V8. I went to get one and one look and I knew there was no way. I got one from John Myers at Myers Studebaker.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Rerun
08-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Dan,

That's interesting. When I got mine, the number 29267 was what they showed for a '63 Avanti. The 29267 has a 1/4 NPTM fitting on the exit end and a hose fitting on the inlet. It screws into the rear port of the Edelbrock. The PCV valve is on my carb now, and the box with the number is 29267. Didn't the one they had look like that?

Jim Bradley

Dan White
08-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Nope it had no NPT, just a slide in hose connection and two tubes for vacuum. And I double checked the numbe and so did the NAPA guy? ODD??

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

Rerun
08-19-2005, 04:32 AM
Maybe someone put the wrong PCV valve in the box??? My NAPA doesn't stock this number. They ordered it in for me. So, I can't check another one there. Next time I'm in the store, I'll have them double check the application for the '63 R-1.

Jim Bradley

Dan White
08-19-2005, 06:53 AM
Rerun it looks like you may be right. I went to the NAPA website and typed in the number. The part that came up did look anything like the part they ordered for me at my NAPA! It looks like what you described. A good price too!!!

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

PalmerGA
08-19-2005, 07:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Rerun

Maybe someone put the wrong PCV valve in the box??? My NAPA doesn't stock this number. They ordered it in for me. So, I can't check another one there. Next time I'm in the store, I'll have them double check the application for the '63 R-1.

Jim Bradley
Hey guys... I am in the same situation right now with my '63 - 289 Daytona. New Edelbrock 1403 carb installed. I went to NAPA after reading some of your discussions a couple of days ago, and the guy there said that 29267 was the right number for my engine, but he had to order it. My existing PCV is in-line and has a 90 degree elbow on it. I decided to just flush it out good with gas and see how she works. I'd still like to go to the screw-in type though, for appearance if nothing else.

'63 Daytona Convertible

curt
08-19-2005, 07:58 AM
I ordered two 29267 PCV valves. My 289 block has a srcrew in PCV at one end and a non-screw at the other. My new valves are not in , they are due in today. What is the 289 number thought to be at this point in time?

Dan White
08-19-2005, 09:38 AM
I am not sure what happened at my NAPA, but the number Rerun put out 29267 appears to be correct, and it is only $6.45! The one that came in the box I ordered and had the right number on it was not anything close to what the right was should be. Go to http://www.napaonline and type in the number and you can see what it looks like.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

PalmerGA
08-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Can't seem to get that NAPA site to work right, but here's an Advance Auto Parts site with the (according to them) correct PCV. Take a look... http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=BOR&mfrpartnumber=PCV267&parttype=5&ptset=A

'63 Daytona Convertible

Rerun
08-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Well, that's good to know. I was beginning to think that my "clutch was slipping". The PCV valves pictured on the NAPA site and the Parts America site look like the one that I installed. The price is certainly good.

Please note the direction of flow of this valve. The threaded end goes toward the carburator. There are others on the market with the threads on the engine end of the valve, which would not be suitable for this application.

Jim Bradley

Dan White
08-19-2005, 06:18 PM
The NAPA site is: http://www.napaonline.com

Sorry forgot the .com!

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

curt
08-20-2005, 12:38 PM
# 29267 Echlin PCV valve works on my 289 V-8. Now some say it is for the Six cylinder. I just ordered the Echlin number at NAPA, they charged too much $6.25 + freight but the PCV valve is a seldom replaced item . Car idle, hot and cold, is normal. My cold start is first start of the day when the temp is 84 degrees and rising. Napa has always been high priced to my thinking, I think they priced Auto ZOne and O'Riley in to business. BUT Napa has a great selection.