This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG250 - All's Well that Ends Well.

I got Tippecanoe the Speedster back at last yesterday and I am really thrilled by the changes. George, the old-fashioned, meticulous, antique gearbox restorer had at last got things to his satisfaction, a month after I had hoped to have the car back in time for the Rally of the Giants and our Chapter AGM. But it was worth the wait.

The first gear start - I think for the first time in years - makes an incredible difference and I now leap away from traffic lights. There is still a bit of a noise changing into Direct, but I am sure now that must be from the rear axle and not from the gearbox, which is as good as new.

The "one way clutch" in the centre of the torque convertor had destroyed itself and had to be remade and reinstalled - no simple task. Then it still wouldn't behave properly until George replaced the governor with one salvaged from an Armstrong Sidley Saphire and it immediately started behaving perfectly. If I were a Studebaker having a heart valve replacement from a donor, I can't think of a nicer donor than an Armstrong Sidley!

We had friends from Pasadena arriving yesterday as well, so in the evening we drove round the centre of London to show off both the car and London. It all made a lot of people very happy. It's been a very long saga, but the car will now be fit for the wedding of a second nephew this Autumn - this time in the old (originally Roman) city of Chester.

A happy end to a long story.

Peter.

Spot on! The saga is encouragement to all!
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
    X