PDA

View Full Version : Top end sputter

charley norton
08-10-2005, 08:07 AM
I keep reading here about fuel problems, especially with fuel pumps. I think I may have a similiar problem. Would a fuel pump cause the engine to have sputter or have flat spots at upper rpms??
Also a footnote, I'm still pulling majorly to the left, but I'm getting used to it.

63 R2 Avanti

Mike Van Veghten
08-10-2005, 10:09 AM
What are you considering "top end"?
In any case, yes it could be a weak fuel pump, also a partially plugged fuel filter, or fuel line. Could be a misadjusted floats. It could be lean jetting. Depending on the rpm, it "could" even be a coil wired backwards, but I assume this is a new problem...?

JDP
08-10-2005, 11:11 AM
If it's on your R2 Avanti, it's a common problem. The fuel pump is not delivering enough pressure to overcome the boost pressure in the carb. The pump, and fuel lines (both feed and return) need to be in prefect shape, the float setting has to be high enough on the carb too.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk

charley norton
08-11-2005, 07:13 AM
It's been from a "not so bad "problem to a "much worse" problem. Adjusting the timing seemed to help but not correct it. I haven't cleaned the pump since I sealed the tank, but it does have a new kit in it. Since then I've replaced the fuel lines, so there could be some trash in the pump. The filter is ok. I had a problem with boiling fuel until I blew out the return line. I did notice the problem was still there after I drove an hour the other day to a cruise night. I also realize that I never checked the line from the superchager to the pump for blockage. I bought it with the supercharger off so there could be a dirtdobber nest in there. I'll take a look this weekend. Thanks

63 R2 Avanti