PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Brake Fluid

bonehead007
08-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Hey everyone,

Started tinkering with the Packard Hawk over the weekend & found out why the brakes were spongy. Seems the previous owner never put brake fluid in the resevoir. Filled it up & they worked great but, noticed after a few pumps the fluid started turning rusty colored. Granted, there must be rust build up from the resevoir from the years of sitting empty.

Going to try bleeding the system over the next weekend to see if that gets rid of it but, does anyone else have any suggestions on how to eliminate/stop the rust.

Thank you.

DEEPNHOCK
08-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Dot3 brake fluid can absorb water, so the best bet for minimizing water induced corrosion is the removal and replacement of the brake fluid on a regular interval. Every few years the system could/should be flushed (usually with fresh brake fluid). Since most Studes use a single chamber master cylinder, brake maintenance and service should be a numero uno priority. You only get one chance with this system. A blown wheel cylinder means no brakes. A rusted through brake line means no brakes. Neither are a scenario anyone wants.
If your Stude is new to you, and the condition of the brakes is unknown, then it is cheap insurance to go through the system thoroughly. I would reccomend that the rubber flex lines be replaced if they are old. A lot of hung up brakes are due to an internally collapsed flex line acting like a check valve.

If you can get access to a power bleeder, then the flush/fill process is a lot easier. I would suggest that if you do borrow one, put your own (ie:new) brake fluid in the power bleeder. Fresh is key.
Hope the info helps.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bonehead007

Hey everyone,

Started tinkering with the Packard Hawk over the weekend & found out why the brakes were spongy. Seems the previous owner never put brake fluid in the resevoir. Filled it up & they worked great but, noticed after a few pumps the fluid started turning rusty colored. Granted, there must be rust build up from the resevoir from the years of sitting empty.
Going to try bleeding the system over the next weekend to see if that gets rid of it but, does anyone else have any suggestions on how to eliminate/stop the rust.
Thank you.

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

N8N
08-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I personally would just rebuild the master cylinder. Actually if you notice any weirdness at all with the brakes it's likely time for rebuilt/new master cylinder, all four wheel cylinders, and new hoses. Who knows when it was done last? Besides, it gives you a chance to repack the wheel bearings (see above) and check the condition of the linings.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

curt
08-08-2005, 06:29 PM
I am a firm beliver in DOT 3 in the rebuilt system if DOT3 was in the original system. Bleed the brakes use DOT 3. The silocon DOT 5 fluid some are sold on using in the older DOT 3 system will not pick up water, Any water in the system will find a low spot and rust a hole if using DOT 5. If you use the DOT 3 there will not be a concertated moisture in a low spot in the metal brake line to rust through. Breaking heats up the fluid and this heat helps evaporates water in the DOT 3 filled systems. Also, bleed the system once a year.

whacker
08-08-2005, 09:27 PM
The shop manual recommends that you flush the entire brake system with rubbing alcohol, then replace with new DOT 3. The alcohol cleans out the water in the system.

DEEPNHOCK
08-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Just make sure you read the label on the rubbing alcohol bottle.
I read the label on my bottle of bathroom (Isopropyl) alcohol and it has a bunch of water in it (30%!)... So Isopropyl Alcohol should not be used.[xx(]
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by whacker

The shop manual recommends that you flush the entire brake system with rubbing alcohol, then replace with new DOT 3. The alcohol cleans out the water in the system.

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock