PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with lots o' questions

Evets
08-06-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm glad I found this site, hope I can find some answers. My cousin and I are about to start working on his father-in-law's '64 Daytona Convertible. I haven't seen the car yet, but I'm told it's in good shape for it's year. It hasn't been driven in about 10 years. I know it's a 289. Am I right in thinking this is a Ford 289? How easy or difficult is it to find parts? Also, by reading through this forum, I'm sensing that the number of variables involved in working on these cars is very high. My first goal is to make it run again. Is there anything I should look out for specifically? I'm not new to car repair, and I'm not afraid to tackle something for the first time, but I'm not a mechanic either. Any advice would be appreciated.

KevinSheen
08-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Welcome to our world, Evets! No its not a Ford. Stude made a 289 also. The engine serial number can be found on the top front right (as you are looking at it from the front of the car) on a flat machined space. You and/or your cousin should join the SDC. There are so many people in the club who can help a newbie out. I just joined in March with my first Studebaker and everyone has been extremely helpful. Good luck and keep us posted. Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

rockne10
08-06-2005, 05:18 PM
I've been in SDC for thirty years and one issue of Turning Wheels will give you more resources than you can possibly imagine and more than any of us would have the time to impart here.

You've picked a realistic first project and if you have any immediate specifics, let 'em fly.

I would suggestyou get the shop manual and body and chassis catalogs, available from most Studebaker vendors or find them on ebay. I think the three new reprints will set you back $125.[:0] They are also vailable on CD-ROM for $25 each.

Welcome![8D]

Evets
08-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks Kevin and rockne. Perhaps I should add that I am in Canada. This "Turning Wheels", where is that available? I will also check ebay for the manuals, I hadn't thought of that. I didn't know Studebaker made their own engines. I've always been an American muscle fan, so this is a bit of a change for me, although, I think I can have some fun with this engine, without deviating too much from the original. Thanks again guys, I'm sure I will be back here soon.

52hawk
08-06-2005, 08:08 PM
You can join SDC online,on this website. Turning Wheels is the monthly magazine of the SDC,us Stude'nuts wait by the mail box for it each month. Some times I think each issue is almost worth the measly $27.50 per year-maybe slightly more in Canada.? The editors of this magazine happen to live in Canada. Good luck with the car,and don't be afraid to ask questions!!!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

DilloCrafter
08-06-2005, 09:34 PM
While we're on the topic of Turning Wheels magazine, how long does it usually take after paying for the $27.50 membership before the first issue arrives? I know I should contact SDC directly, but thought I'd ask here, for all to see an answer.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

52hawk
08-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I joined in june 2002,it took a little over a month to get the first issue. They have generally been here during the last week of each month. -june issue arrives during the last week of may,and so on.

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

studeclunker
08-07-2005, 01:29 AM
Evets,
Sounds like you have a really fun project ahead of you. Depending upon why the car was stored, I just might start right up. I lost twenty dollars on a bet that a stationwagon that sat for seventeen years abandoned in a field would'nt start. It did. I still have the car (buying it was part of the bet). Personally I would replace the fuel pump, carburetor, and master cylinder. The brakes probably should be gone through as well. The gas tank will need to be thoroughly gone through as well as the entire fuel line system. You know, old car stuff. Once you have gone past these things the car should pass into a Studebaker and away from a Studeclunker.

Good luck, it should be a lot of fun.

Three things you need to do first;

1 Join the club. It's on this site.

2 write to Studebaker International for their catalog. Three to five bucks I think.
Studebaker International Inc.
97 North 150 West
Greenfield, Indiana 46140-8562
(317)462-3124
Write to S.A.S.CO. for their catalog as well.
Studebaker Autoparts Sales Corp
410 W Sample Street
South Bend, In. 46601
(574)287-3381 or (800)722-4295

3 Get a complete set of manuals for your car. They consist of a Shop Manual, a Chassis Parts Catalog, and a Body Parts Catalog. Yes, the parts catalogs are important. You will need to identify that odd little widget that's driving you nuts on a regular basis.
Oh yes I almost forgot;

4 HAVE TONS OF FUN!!:D:D:D:D
You've got a great car, enjoy!![8D]

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Studeclunker

rockne10
08-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Unfortunately SASCO still doesn't publish a catalog but, if you know the part number, they have a quick search on their website.
Also recommend Stephen Allen's at www.mystudebaker.com
Again, Turning Wheels will supply many more great sources.

hank63
08-07-2005, 07:42 PM
You can get the manuals in hard copy or on CD, depending on where you buy.
/H

studegary
08-07-2005, 08:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

While we're on the topic of Turning Wheels magazine, how long does it usually take after paying for the $27.50 membership before the first issue arrives? I know I should contact SDC directly, but thought I'd ask here, for all to see an answer.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

How long it takes depends on when in the month you joined, what mail service you paid for and how the mail service is from the state of Virginia to where you are. One to seven weeks would be a normal range for second class mail. Turning Wheels is contracted to be mailed by the 15th of the month prior to the cover month. None of this matters much once you start receiving issues, because you will just continue to get them at one month intervals. Since the SDC International Convention is next week, you might want to wait until after that before checking on your status with the SDC Membership Secretary.

prager
08-08-2005, 06:25 AM
Evets, you have found a great site!! I am also a new Stude guy, and have recieved a ton of help from the guys on this site..These are some of the nicest folk around!! Good luck and have fun with the 64!!!

GTtim
08-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Evets,

Just thought I would let you know that the '64 Convertible is one of the most desireable Stude cars today. Also, as you are tinkering with the engine keep in mind that it is a very strong durable powerplant that with a little tinkering can easily produce upwards of 300 horsepower. Totally Stude powered vehicles have gone more than 200 mph at Bonneville.

Have a great time and keep us in the loop.

Tim K.

Bandit
08-08-2005, 06:53 PM
welcome aboard Evets, whereabouts do you live ? If you are in Southern Ontario, I know a guy that has lots of parts, Larks in particular out in Marmora.

http://mateo-f4.homedns.org/bandit/banner4.jpg

55s
08-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Evets: Don't know where you are in Canada, but we have two strong chapters in Ontario - Ontario Chapter with about 160 members and Hamilton Chapter with about 45 members. Some are members of both.

All parts are available, as well as expert advice.

My bet is that that motor will start up right away - however, change the oil first and according to the latest SDC Cooperator column in Turning Wheels, you may want to build up the oil pressure first by disconnecting the main spark wire and turning over the engine with the starter only. (Give the starter motor a break every 30 seconds.) If cylinder walls or bearings are dry from lack of use this may pre-oil them and save you replacing them.

Ontario Chapter website is www.ontariosdc.ca. You'll find some contact information there.

Paul

rockne10
08-08-2005, 10:43 PM
My 33 Rockne sat unmoved in a garage for 31 years. I put a couple ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into each sparkplug hole several times over the course of a month, put a chain on the axle, put it in gear and broke it loose. It made a bang and I thought something surely broke. Changed the oil, tuned it up and have put 1600 miles on it with good oil pressure. Nice stuff, Marvel Mystery Oil.
I was gentler with the 60 Lark that had sat under a carport for 12 years; removed the starter and levered the ringgear through several complete revolutions.

monomaniac
08-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Evets, what is your mailing address? I will send you a couple introductory Turning Wheels magazines. Also, since I am keeping track of 1964 convertibles built in Canada, what is the serial number of your car?

raprice
08-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Evets,
I know that I'm only one of many to welcome you to the land of Studebaker. You'll find that most of us are pretty fanatical about the cars we love and drive.
Yes, being a member of SDC is money well spent. I belong to a number of old car clubs, including the AACA. I'd have to say that "Turning Wheels" magazine is the best out there. I'm amazed that our editors turn out such a fine magazine month after month. Don't forget to check out the Studebaker Cooperator section of the mag. That's where you get a tremendous amount of technical info from Stude experts.
Again, welcome.
Rog
'59 Lark Regal Hardtop