PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Removal

sasjdw
08-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm trying to remove the dashboard from my '55 Speedster and I cannot figure out how it is attached! I need to redo some of the wiring and fix some of the guages, but I can't seem to get it out. Does the entire dashboard come out with the guages or do I have to remove the 'turned' guage surface first?

Thanks in advance!

James D. Wilkerson

longhaul
08-05-2005, 03:52 PM
I pulled one years ago & I'm sure it came out with the 'turned' piece attached.

Doug

N8N
08-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Yup, I believe (am not 100% sure so correct me if I'm wrong) that the Speedster dash attaches like a later Hawk dash. If that's the case there are four nuts up at the front of the dash underneath that have to be removed, and also two bolts at each end at the bottom of the dash. Then drop the parking brake, heater controls, steering column, etc. and remove the dash and wiring harness as a unit.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

55s
08-08-2005, 10:39 PM
I have replaced the dashes in a 55 a few times times, but not for about 10 years. (Champion and Commander)

I cannot remember if the mounting of the Speedster dash is different, although I know it is a fibre dash instead of the normal metal one.

My recollection is that the shop manual says that you take out the gauges first. However, I have to admit that I just unbolted the dash and pulled it all away from the firewall. There are some screws on the metal dash underneath the window trim at the top of the dash.

Take your time, and disconnect the battery.

Paul