PDA

View Full Version : rust repair on Cursed Purple Hawk

Kdancy
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
For those that have been asking me about the 61 Cursed Purple Hawk, I have been doing rust repair or I should say rust re-repair. The shop that called themselves doing it before, had just laid patch panels over the rusted panels and welded them in without cutting out the rust areas. This led to a dirt and trash "sandwich" caught in between the orginal layer of rust panels and the new'er panels. I was able to get under the car and cut out all the rusted areas underneath the seats and weld the cut areas back to the new'er patch panels thus sealing everything up. Cut out and replaced the drivers side rocker panel. I am now working on the passenger side foot rest side panel. They did the same thing to that one, just left the rust and half ass welded up a panel to "hide" the rusted ones. When I got the patch panel cut off, I found gobs of dirt,rust and eaten up metal. Also could see the frame where rust had eaten thru the orginal panel. I cut out all the rusted panels and started welding in new metal. After this I will move to the trunk, where both support plates are eaten thru. I might add that all the floor and truck panels were covered up with a liberal coating of spray undercoating. This kept the sorry work and rust covered up for awhile so you really had to look hard to see it. This car is an ideal example of pictures not
"telling the tell".

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

52hawk
08-04-2005, 07:23 PM
THE worst thing in body work is redoing someone elses mess. I bought my Hawk mainly because it was a Virgin. but it was easy to see everything,because the car was disassembled when I bought it.All the previous owner did was take it apart,but he at least kept it inside for 10 years. Good luck with that CPH !!!!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

studeclunker
08-04-2005, 11:45 PM
You have my deepest sympathy. Your case makes me feel better about my own, actually. You know the adage; just when one thinks thier lot is bad, there's someone with a worse one." In my case I bought a stationwagon that looked beautiful. and the body seemed to be. Another case of good looks covering up general disrepair. The car was used hard till it was used up. I paid a premium price for a parts car basically.

Your case is terrible because someone had been trusted to fix a problem and they made it worse, then covered their infamy up. It's shops like that that give the beware in customer beware.

So from the owner of the Blue Witch to the owner of the Cursed Purple Hawk, My deepest sympathy... B.T.D.T.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Studeclunker

Kdancy
08-05-2005, 06:42 AM
I was finishing up welding a new foot rest side panel yesterday when UPS delivered the new trunk corner supports by Classic. Look very well made and worth the money. I will paint and seal the just welded area and start dropping the gas tank for the trunk area repair this morning.
The reason we bought this car in the first place was so we would not have to do all this work! Can you say sucker punched?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

wagone
08-09-2005, 06:39 PM
My heart goes out to you, kdancy. Unfortunately what happened to you has VERY likely happened to most of us in the HOBBY (hell, it can't be a hobby, it costs too much to be a hobby--an insanity maybe but not a hobby). My present opinion is that most of what is offered for sale is way overpriced considering the quality of the work which has been done on the vehicle. And I don't think my opinion is likely to change--please somebody offer me something to buy at a FAIR price and alter my opinion!
wagone and (cursed) Avanti I

David
08-10-2005, 02:57 AM
I feel your frustration. I just tore into my '64 GT floors. I've owned it for 16 years and knew the floors were patched, but I had no idea!
Someone(compliment) cut the floor on the driver side, from the rocker/sill area just below the front of the front seat, all the way across to the trans hump, up over and down across the pass side to the other sill, forward to the pillar base, along the inside vent panel to the top of the toe board, back to the trans hump at the firewall, up & over again, toe board, pillar base, sill... Then they literaly must have laid the small remaining piece of trans hump on the tranny. Put flat metal over the gaping holes. 4 pop rivets (no welding) and a thin layer of fiberglass over the whole thing for a fine mess! The CLASSIC pans @ 22" wide wont fill the hole. I'll need 3" more metal. I have no idea why they cut the hump out, unless to put the hurst shifter in from inside the car!?
My new pans were ordered yesterday. Went to look at a used plasma cutter today. I think thats gonna be a must for this job. I have some rust on the rockers as well. I was leery of doing new rockers. Not afraid of doing it, just that then the inner one will need it too, and if I go that far then......... I won't be able to stop.
How did your new rocker go in? hassle?

Dave in IN
1964 GT Hawk

DEEPNHOCK
08-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Plasma cutters are great, but they hate rusty metal.
I have sevral scrap lengths of angle iron and tubing that get used as a straight edge. Just lay them in there close to your cut line. I try to cut straight lines where I can...
Jeff (not too steady sometimes;)) Rice[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

52hawk
08-10-2005, 08:47 AM
I don't see much use for a plasma on this type of work. I use a 3" cut-off wheel,sabre saw,and reciprocating saw.
If you decide to cut out those rockers,you will lose your door alignment.You will need to brace it up to keep the body from 'squirming around',and you will need a porta power for final alignment when you start welding.Check your door openings often while you're working.
Going as far as putting the class-ent floors in,you would be smart to do the rockers at the same time.You'll need a good level floor,with jack stands under the car placed so as the car weight is on the suspension,as if it were on the ground ready to drive. I'd start by re-installing that hump first,in the correct position,then build from there..Do one side of the car at a time,,that way you will keep some body integrity in place while the car is apart.
As said before about these panels,it's not rocket science,it just takes a little ingenuity!! GOOD LUCK,keep us all posted !
And!! Don't forget to move or protect your gas and brake lines!!!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!

Kdancy
08-10-2005, 10:05 AM
On the floor pans I just had to cut out all the old rusted floor that they had layed the new metal on to, then I migged all that up so as to close the "sandwich" up so no water,dirt etc could get in. I changed out the drivers side rocker panel and was very careful with door alignment as I went. What I am surprised at is the trunk floor supports, and how they affect the door alignment. As I was tacking everything in place I wedged up on the trunk corner just to see how much the door alignment would change--- man did it! I am about finished with the passengers side and am moving across the panel to the drivers side. I will post these pictures later. Oh yea, I am using an air chisel (really easy to use when you get used to it) and small cutting wheels to get the rusted panels out and a thin chisel to part the metal. I use .023 wire in the mig and it does a nice job. The tricky part is doing this with the fenders still on the car, but it is coming along okay. I do have a metal brake and shear, so that is a great help in making the new panels.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

rockne10
08-10-2005, 09:00 PM
God I love plasma cutters; for the right job, usually making parts, not removing them. They do fart on rust. An air-driven reciprocating trim saw is the way to go. Multiple layers of metal and heavy rust will consume blades but can give results that need only touched up with a file.
This is a little saw that uses little saber type blades, not a sawzall that I've used to cut my house apart.

David
08-24-2005, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the tips. Good idea about doing the trans hump first, and rocker at the same time as the floor.

Dave in IN
1964 GT Hawk

Kdancy
08-26-2005, 06:27 AM
As I was cleaning out the undercoating in the wheel wells, I discovered more rusted areas hidden by the undercoating. The body brace area in front of the rear wheels both needed cutting out and new metal put in. The rear floor pans are okay except for this brace area on both sides. I pulled the brace out on the passenger side and am in the process of cutting off the top and welding in a new piece. I cut out the floor pan section where the brace goes against the floor pan, made and welded in a new section.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT