This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I have? - New Owner Help

I'm hoping someone much more well versed in Studebakers than I can help. I just purchased my first Stude, a 1951 Champion - Canadian Built. I'm starting the process of figuring out what was stock, aftermarket, and just modified. I believe it to have had at least 3-4 owners prior to myself so the possibility of mods is quite high. As best I can tell it is a 10G Model The Serial # is G-725466 , but the Body Model plate does not conform to what I have found in the set of books that came with the car. It simply states "Body Number 977" The Engine looks like it may have come out of a 1950 Champion if the charts are correct as the Engine # is C23198. Any help anyone can provide with identifying which of the three Champion models this is will be greatly appreciated.

Oh boy! Now I get to say it;

First join the Studebaker drivers club.
    Second order your build sheet on this car from the Studebaker Museum.
    Then look at what the years have added and decide what to keep or remove.[8D]

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Studeclunker
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks, I've already joined SDC, but didn't know the build sheets were available. I'll order it right away.

Comment

Thanks for the advice studeclunker,

Unfortunately the build sheet for my car is not available, but one of the Historians at the Museum was very helpful and was able to give me some great info.

Comment

What is the information on the body tag on your firewall? Does the tag appear to be original to the car? The tag should have been painted when the car body was painted.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That's what's made this car a mystery. The tag is there, but all it says is Body Number 977. From what I could find in the parts books that came with the car it should be in the format 10G - W3 - 150 but that's not what is on the car. Here are some pics if you would like to see. http://www.cjwinston.com/studebaker/51champion.htm

Comment

I suspect the body tag is just the version for cars built in Canada.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
              63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
              JDP Maryland

Comment

On Hamilton built cars there is another small tag affixed to one of the tag screws it would of been a round W3 tag ...someone probably took it off during its life time. Also I don't think you'll be able to get the built sheet for a Hamilton 51 from the museum but I could be wrong. I used to own a 52 Hamilton car and they didn't have the info on them.
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

COOL COOL COOL CAR !!!! Put some wide whites on it!!!

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Curious tag, sure enough![:0] By odd circumstance, Richard Quinn E-mailed me a link to an ebay auction for a '36 Dictator coupe. Look at the body tag! It to, is designated way different than what South Bend - LA body tags were.

This one should start out 3A-Q3, but it's nowhere close to that.

2R5, Looks to me like those tag screws have never been touched. Nor does it appear that any spot's devoid of paint - like where a round tag had been.[}]

Miscreant at large. (Collector of body tags)

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Gosh! What a beautiful car!! Who cares what was added over the years! She's a looker!!

Drive and enjoy.[8D]

Lotsa Larks!
                      Studeclunker
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

You're right 2R5, the museum does not have any records, or at least build sheets prior to 1960 from the Canadian factory. Fortunately they were able to tell me that the first 51 Champion from Canada was Serial # G-724501 which makes this car one of the early ones out the door and also lends credibility as to why the engine has a number indicating it was produced in 1950.

So that brings up another question, are there any significant diferences between the 1950 and 51 6 cylinder engines that I need to know about before I start working on this car?

Comment

I'm not gonna go along with the assumption that that 1950 engine was just a leftover that got stuffed in a '51. Studebaker was well aware that many (maybe MOST) cars at that time were being registered using the engine number instead of the Car's serial number.
                          The one glaring difference between a '50 & 51 Champion 6 is the oil pan. It's shaped differently because the car's frameworks/suspensions were configured differently those two years. The pans WILL swap tho, so an engine swap is believable, but I'd think twice before assuming such was done at the factory. You can figure if it HAD BEEN done at the factory, it would at LEAST have been noted in the parts books so as not to cause confusion when some parts department was ordering pieces. There are NO such notes in the parts books for any 1951 model Champions.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll agree with Mr Biggs that that is a 50 engine for sure...someone in the cars life time has swapped the engine out. Besides the pan there really isn't any difference in engines especially if you have to order any parts like water pumps or tune up stuff.
                            Foe your info our club up here has just put a website out this last month ...check it out www.thehamiltonchaptersdc.ca ....if you look at memebers cars the 1st two 60's shown are from my flock
                            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Well, with 3 or more owners I wouldn't be suprised that the engine may have been swapped. Either way it just purrs right now - it needs a suspension tune up - new springs and shocks - but other than that it's a great driver. Great cars 2R5, and thanks for the info on the oil pan Mr.Biggs that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for before I get under the hood of this one.

Any other tips you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

This Studebaker thing is going to be a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X