PDA

View Full Version : 50 commander engine 6 cyl

dennisd
08-02-2005, 06:06 PM
my son cooked the engine in my sweet 50 commander. any help appreciated.

Chris Pile
08-02-2005, 06:22 PM
First of all, did you smack him a good one?

whacker
08-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Is it rebuildable? If so, yank it out and get started! If the engine is not rebuildable, those "big six" engines are a drag on the market right now, and you should be able to pick one up pretty easily. That engine was used in several models of the bigger pickups and trucks until '59 or '60. Rebuild parts are readily available from most of the vendors, and the engine itself is simple enough for most people to redo without going crazy. Any good machine shop can machine the block - it's just like any other block.

1949commander
08-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Dennisd,

By cooked do you mean spun a bearing or overheated? If he spun a bearing I know that Ted H was able to get .010 undersized bearings for my Commander that had a spun rod bearing. These engines had Huge bearings for their power output so going that much undersized is not a problem. As long as the block is sound you should have no problem rebuilding it. Most Stude vendors have good heads for these cheap, call Fairborn Studebaker for engine parts, he took over Ted's business and Ted was able to get me all NEW internal parts, pistons with modern style oil rings and knurling on the skirts to reduce friction, stainless valves etc.:D

Phil and Madelyn Harris
4300 St. Rt. 235
Fairborn, OH 45324
(937) 878-1576
(Formerly Ted & Mary Ann Harbit Sales & Service)

Good Luck!!

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going