PDA

View Full Version : What x-over pipe to order?

curt
08-02-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm replacing the X-over pipe on my 1955 Studebaker President V-8 that has a 1963 V-8 and the Ford Automatic transmission. What year X-over pipe do I order, 1963 or 1955? The local shop said his labor cost would dictatate : order the premade pipe. I do know to keep the pipe well foward of the starter from a previous Chat of the subject. All input from Chat is welcome.:)

N8N
08-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't a '55 prez have dual exhausts? (I assume by x-over pipe you mean the pipe that connects the two pipes into one, not an H-pipe which Studebaker never used except for a few Avantis. If you want an H-pipe this will have to be custom made, but when I proposed the idea to Don Simmons he all but flat out told me not to do it - he had some good arguments against one.)

In any case here is what I would order:

1963 spec pass side head pipe and front exhaust pipe - this is needed to clear the dipstick tube on a Flightomatic (I assume that's what you meant by "Ford transmission")

1955 spec driver's side head pipe and front exhaust pipe (the 55 head pipe has more stsrter clearance making maintenance easier)

1955 spec mufflers and tailpipes, as the tailpipes are larger diameter than any other year (and sound great!)

I found this out the hard way when attempting to install a new exhaust in my '55 Commander, also with '63 engine and Flightomatic - driver's side bolted right up, went to put in passenger side and started cussing a blue streak! There was no way to make the '55 pipe fit, as it attempted to take up the same real estate as the FOM's dipstick, even though it was substantially the same shape as the later pipe. Placement of one bend made all the difference.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

curt
08-02-2005, 09:31 PM
Nate , as I said I need all the help I can get! My parts book indicates the 1955 President is a Model 6H. I see a duel listed for the Model 6H in 1956. I guess my answer is where is the serial # located. My orignal block is long gone .

N8N
08-03-2005, 09:04 PM
serial number of the engine? doesn't matter one bit. The manifolds should be the same. All you have to worry about is what is your chassis ('55 prez, but what body style?) and the fact that you have a later tranny in there.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

Roscomacaw
08-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Not true Nate. Duals were only standard on Speedsters, optional on everything else.:D

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

curt
08-03-2005, 09:29 PM
NAte is 4 door the body style? I have a wrap around windshield.

N8N
08-03-2005, 09:39 PM
what does your body tag say? should be 6H-W(something) or 6H-Y(something) Y had a longer wheelbase than W, so you'd want to order pipes accordingly. (or if you are going to have an exhaust shop bend up everything but the head pipes, just order the head pipes for your body style, but '63 model year.)

Apparently I was wrong about the dual exhausts - I apologize...

To procure whatever pipes you want, SASCO sells them in steel and Silvertone Exhaust sells them in stainless. Both would be good places to call and ask what'll fit and what won't, especially Silvertone. Don't forget to mention your later drivetrain. (ask me how I know this...)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop